Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
How Much do you spend on your children's birthdays?

smileyface

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 12:45 pm
We want to make a party for my 5 year old. For his other parties we just did something at home for family but now I want to do something for his class possibly in a small hall. I was just wondering what's normal to spend on 5th birthday party?
tia

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 1:22 pm
IME most birthdays for that age group are either at home or in a bowling place or other entertainment venue. (gymboree, zoo, museum) I think parents pay about $10-15 per kid for those types of places.

Why can't you do it at home? hiring a hall seems excessive, unless you are inviting 50 kids. even if you invite 25 kids some of them won't be able to come. But a 5 year old will be much happier witha smaller crowd. 1 kid per year of age is a good rule. So invite 5 of his friends, and he will have a blast.

Doing it at home costs me food (pizza, chips, cake, all homemade) party bags/favours and prizes, and a little nosh.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Jan 17 2012, 1:36 pm
You're asking what's normal? Where I live, at least, it's not normal to have a birthday party in a hall -- unless maybe it's for your 90 year old grandmother or something.

I agree with Raisin. If you're looking for a party that your 5 yo will enjoy, keep it small. If you just like making big parties and aren't doing this for ds, then make it as big as you want and spend whatever you want.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 5:46 pm
Do you have an option of hosting a party at nursery/kindergarten/school?
Can you do a joint birthday with someone whose birthday falls closely to DS's?

I agree not to go over the top with young children's party--they'll have plenty of opportunities to do themed party, may it be football or bowling or whatever. I'd stick to something simple--you can do many kinds of arts and craft parties, like sock puppets, bookmarks, decorate tzedaka box/photoframe etc.

Limiting # of children may be difficult if you're expected to invite everyone in the class.
(Some schools have a policy about it.)

manhattanmom

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 5:53 pm
renting a hall does seem excessive. wow. are there any play-spaces near you--like indoor chuckee--cheese type places--Kids in Action in Brooklyn is popular. There are lots of places like that.

I don't plan on making my kids big birthday parties like that--for their bar mitzvahs, yes. and we did a pretty-nice upsherin for both of them. but that's my limit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics