Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
How do YOU prepare for maternity leave?

amother

Post Sat, Jan 21 2012, 8:22 pm
This is my first time and I'm not sure how to "look at" the time I will not be teaching- especially because it be the end of the year.
Should I try to squeeze my whole year in- all (or most) of the material/skills, etc- before I leave so I know its covered, and leave the sub with "busy work" or "leftovers"? Or should I continue at a normal pace and expect the sub to actually cover all I give her?
What do you usually do and what has your experience been (after the fact- did you regret it)? I don't want the students to miss out on important skills they are supposed to learn this year and I have not found a sub yet so I'm not sure how it will work out.
Any tips?

de_goldy

Post Sat, Jan 21 2012, 9:06 pm
I think it depends on what age you teach and if you know the sub who will be taking over.

rachelbg

Post Sat, Jan 21 2012, 9:10 pm
Please understand that not matter how great your sub is, she won't teach like you do, and she won't cover your material like you would, even if you give her explicit instructions.

That being said, prepare your materials with a grain of salt, and know that parents understand that when a teacher has maternity leave, the kids don't learn like they normally would.

B'soros tovos!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 22 2012, 12:11 pm
I was supposed to replace a pregnant teacher. She told me how she organizes her lessons and how to deal with whatever problem can come up, how much time to spend on x or y. Then she made me do it several times while she was there, to train me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics