Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Seeking Info on Berman Academy, Silver Spring, MD

smalka

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 7:39 pm
Can anyone provide information on the Melvin J. Berman Hebrew Academy in Silver Spring?

I am specifically interested in how it is academically. How would it measure up to say, Yavneh Academy, SAR, Frisch, Ramaz for both high school and elementary school?

Additionally, how does it compare to the NY/NJ area schools it terms of warmth, middot, derech eretz?

Thanks........

abby1776

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 9:38 pm
I know many of the teachers and staff and alumni from the Hebrew Academy of Silver spring - it measures up with Ramaz, SAR and Flatbush and all the Ny schools and may be even better because its somewhat smaller. If you want to PM me I can put you in contact with my friends that teach there.

All the alumni I know from the Hebrew Academy went on to Ivy league colleges and are professionals (lawyers, bankers, drs).

amother

Post Tue, Jan 24 2012, 10:59 pm
I respectfully disagree. If you are comparing the high school, look at how many APs are offered and compare the average SAT score. Find out from the school where the graduates are going - both in Israel and for college. The graduates do NOT all go to Ivy League schools. I would say the vast majority go to University of Maryland with a few each year going to YU/Stern and then a small number going to other schools (sometimes Ivy League, sometimes not).

In general, as with most schools, I think there are stronger and weaker teachers, departments and administrators - in elementary, middle school and high school. All schools have their pros and cons - I think you have to determine what you are looking for and then visit the school and speak to administrators, teachers and parents.

My son is a recent graduate and I would classify it as an average Modern Orthodox High School, not a superior one - yes, it is an OOT school, with all the advantages and disadvantages that come with that.

abby1776

Post Wed, Jan 25 2012, 10:57 am
Not all the graduates from Ramaz or SAR go to Ivy league schools either, some go to Queens or Brooklyn or Stern or YU or SUNY Schools. I said the graduates I knew went to Ivy league Schools.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating