Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Did you gain weight as a newlywed then lose it later?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 11:57 am
Looking through some photo albums I noticed that some family and friends gained weight their first few years of marriage and then after 4 or 5 kids they started losing weight and a few years (and more kids) later that have kept it off.

I often time find that I am stressed out and have a lot to learn about managing a household. I have two little kids and my hands are full but I don't get the exercise I need and I turn to food for comfort.

Is it possible or has it been your experience that later on in your marriage or as your kids got older you got a better handle on things and were able to stop over eating and got into better shape?

I hope it is true because I wish that would happen for me!!!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 12:15 pm
I gained weight during engagement (5 kilos) through dh's cooking and pushing me to enjoy the outings. That weight was never lost.

I gained and lost very quickly bh after each child (once 11 kilos, once 12 kilos). I also gained 15 kilos through hypothyroidism after dc1, and lost them fully when I recovered. Then moved in a place with lots of kosher food and regained 15 kilos LOL and lost almost all of it... since then I'm gained some, relosing, etc. I'm now 5 kilos above wedding weight and though I would be happy to lose some, it seems nursing has stopped making me lose.

SS6099

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 12:41 pm
Gained 25 lbs after I got married.
Ironically, after 3 kids BH, I am 8 lbs below my wedding weight. I guess I simply attribute it to stopping to nosh and eating healthy. Makes such a difference in my energy level when it comes to taking care of kids and house.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 1:04 pm
OP here.

I haven't lost yet, I just keep gaining, except for pregnancy weight, b"H. Whatever I gained during pregnancy was gone at birth b"H. But my weight in general keeps going up and up and I keep eating from stress. Sad I just hope that I will learn to manage my home better quickly and then be able to handle stress better? Wishful thinking maybe...

SS6099

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 1:09 pm
What you need to do is learn to handle the stress in ways other than eating, if you want long term success. Otherwise, any time you're under stress, you'll gain what you lost right back...
A GREAT book to read is Breaking Free from Emotional Eating by Geneen Roth.

ellie23

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 3:05 pm
well in the first year of marriage I was a good 10 pounds overweight from some good cookin and eating Smile! then I lost it by working hard, exercising, watching what I eat. then, I gained in my pregnanc y and lost everything but 8 pounds...for me to look the way I want to look- not super skinny but basically flat stomach and muscular, I work out daily (1 hour, 4 times a week, from 6:45 to 7:45 am). I foudn the best thing to do is to wake up early and go..so when you start your day your workout is already behind you...I also eat 4 meals a day, with snacks in between, very little white flour and sugar, lots of healthy carbs and protein. and on shabbos- friday night and shabbos day I have one treat by each meal...thats about it. it takes work and discipline but you can do it!

Strawberry2

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 3:13 pm
Gained quite a bit of weight after wedding. Lost it all by preg. #3 and today weigh the same as by wedding.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 4:12 pm
Yes! When I got married, I started cooking! And baking! Cookies, bread, cakes... I prepared real meals, instead of salad from a bag, or cheerios for dinner every night! I still weigh 10 lbs more than at the wedding, but that's after 2 kids, so I'm working on it... at least I stopped gaining. I think, don't worry about loosing, as much as stopping the weight gain. After it's stabalized, then work on loosing...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise