Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Hafrashat Challah on Hamentashen?

techiemom

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 8:05 am
Not sure if I'm posting this in the most appropriate forum (there are several options...) however, do you need to do hafrashat challah on hamentashen (cookie) dough? We are making a large amount in separate batches. Thanks for any advice on different quantities, bracha, etc.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 8:10 am
computermorah wrote:
Not sure if I'm posting this in the most appropriate forum (there are several options...) however, do you need to do hafrashat challah on hamentashen (cookie) dough? We are making a large amount in separate batches. Thanks for any advice on different quantities, bracha, etc.

CYLOR. Some of the salient points:
- What liquids, if any will be in the dough
- When you say they're going to be separate batches, are you making a few batches of dough, putting them in the same bowl, letting them sit till you're ready to bake? Or are you making a say, 6 cup batch, rolling, filling, baking, then doing it all over again.

Chances are it won't be necessary. My six cup batter makes a good few dozen and it's all I can do in one shot. Maybe I would try for a second round a few hours later in the day, that alone would make it unnecessary.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 8:11 am
AFAIK you don't if there is juice or something inside that would render it not hamotzei. I could be wrong though.

newlymarried

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 8:41 am
I learnt that it doesn't make a difference what bracha, if there is enough flour in there, you have to take challa. Whatever the amount of flour you need for challa, it would be the same. Last year I made a loooot of hamentashen, and took challa witha brocha.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 9:08 am
Yes, AYLOR. It depends on the consistency of the dough - certainly you have to make hafrashas challa on mezonos dough too (if there is enough).

Also, even if you make separate batches, not mixed/ baked at the same time, but then put them in one container, or even the same freezer or together in one place, they might need hafrashas chala. Sometimes with(out) a bracha. Also, the halachos are different in EY or chutz laaretz.

Sherri

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 9:43 am
It's not about being hamotzi. I do hafrashas challah on my kokosh cake recipe.

Sherri

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 9:49 am
shalhevet wrote:
Yes, AYLOR. It depends on the consistency of the dough - certainly you have to make hafrashas challa on mezonos dough too (if there is enough).

Also, even if you make separate batches, not mixed/ baked at the same time, but then put them in one container, or even the same freezer or together in one place, they might need hafrashas chala. Sometimes with(out) a bracha. Also, the halachos are different in EY or chutz laaretz.
This.

Liba

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 9:51 am
It doesn't need to be hamotzei or even solid to be obligated in taking challah. My understanding is if you make enough cake you have to take challah after it is baked. If the doughs (from one day) aren't all in one place at one time but they cookies are all put in the same freezer, bag or container, and the amount is enough to require taking challah, you need to take challah.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 11:23 am
I learned differently. I suggest you ask a rov.

Liba

Post Sun, Mar 04 2012, 11:30 am
http://www.oukosher.org/index....../8981 This is the OUs article on the halachos of taking challah. It is pretty comprehensive, though written for people in chu"l.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics