Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Question about WIC in NY

shirtsandskirts

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 5:36 pm
I am new to WIC and am trying to figure out how to work it. I believe I need to buy all items listed on the check, but what if due to being kosher the amount comes out to more? Also any idea what specialty cheese is? my checks lists 16oz cheese and then later says 16oz specialty cheese. I called up and they said kosher, but does that mean I can either get regular cheese or kosher cheese or do I need to get only one cheese (they couldn't answer that for me)? What if I dont' want 16oz of cheese because it will add up to almost the price of the check?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 6:12 pm
Ask the store that you will be shopping in. They know exactly what they can sell to you.

mosma

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 7:29 pm
usually, the only cheese allowed is block cheese of either mozzarella, cheddar, or monterey jack (monterey jack is yum!). some jewish places are more lenient...
the only time I ever have a problem with it being more money is golden flow milk, and that's only with the checks that ONLY list the milk. otherwise I've never had a problem.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 7:38 pm
Never saw anything about specialty cheese. I just get regular bricks or slices as listed on the acceptable foods card. I only buy/eat kosher + cholov yisrael, and have never had any issue. I have NEVER seen 16 oz of cheese add up to the total amount of the check! You're not buying aged, cured, blue swedish goat cheese for goodness' sake. I usually buy mozzarella, which is about maybe $6-7 out of a $20 check.

I/DD have been on WIC for about 2 years now and I don't think I've ever had it come out to more than a dollar over, MAYBE a little over a dollar on rare occasions. Often the difference can be narrowed by choosing less expensive brands, though not always.

Generally, the Jewish stores that accept WIC are very used to this and will lead the way. I have seen three approaches to the problem: Either they just forgive the extra few cents (like I said it's almost always less than a dollar), write the max amount on the check, end of story. Another option is if you're using more than one check (I used to do all my WIC shopping for the month in one or two trips, just freezing anything extra until needed) usually not all of them will be over, so they add the extra from one onto another check. A third option that I have very rarely seen is if you're buying other stuff at the same time, they just ring it all up together, subtract the WIC amount, and the extra goes on your tab. Again, it's only a few cents so it's still worth it to me. Most stores don't do this, I think it only happened to me once.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 7:42 pm
mosma wrote:
usually, the only cheese allowed is block cheese of either mozzarella, cheddar, or monterey jack (monterey jack is yum!). some jewish places are more lenient...
the only time I ever have a problem with it being more money is golden flow milk, and that's only with the checks that ONLY list the milk. otherwise I've never had a problem.
Golden Flow is usually more expensive than other brands. I personally prefer it but the others are OK in a pinch, so if it ends up being too much then switching out one or two bottles should take care of it.

The other thing that tends to make problems is baby food. They actually put more money on the checks for kosher baby meat but I found also that the Jewish store I shopped at did not have competitive prices on the fruit/veggie jars so it still always went over. Store never made a big deal over it, they usually just gave me the difference free.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 7:55 pm
Cheese I usually get a block of mozzarella. Its really good.
I also take the golden flour milk since the check is quite a lot of money, they usually give you around $3 for milk but most milks are not that expensive.

They should have given you a book with things that you are allowed and what each thing includes.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 8:02 pm
Where I shop Golden Flow is usually around $2.69 for a half-gallon and often goes a little over the check but not very much.

I also love the block of mozzarella, once I got used to it there was no going back! Even when I disqualified I kept buying it, it's so much fresher and moister than the pre-sliced or pre-shredded ones.

shirtsandskirts

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 8:19 pm
I did get the booklet of what I can buy, I just thought I read that I need to buy exactly what is on the check and the amount cannot exceed that of the check.BUt I guess the stores are more lenient.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics