Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Recipes with WIC baby food
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:45 pm
Hey BH I have been getting some baby food from WIC- fruit/veggie jars as well as baby cereal. It seems to be too much to use up.
Does anyone have any good recipes of things I can make with any of these foods? I heard there are baked goods recipes for these, but I'm open to any recipes really... TIA

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:49 pm
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....11942

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:50 pm
Carrot kugel:

2 cups sugar (I use less)
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil (I use a little less)
Dash of vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
1/2 cup water
3 4oz jars pureed carrots (baby food size)

Bake at 350° until toothpick comes clean in the middle.

If you have the freezer space, I recommend doubling the recipe and pouring it into 3 9x9 foil pans.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 8:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hey BH I have been getting some baby food from WIC- fruit/veggie jars as well as baby cereal. It seems to be too much to use up.
Does anyone have any good recipes of things I can make with any of these foods? I heard there are baked goods recipes for these, but I'm open to any recipes really... TIA

"Duck sauce" chicken
Orange soup
Carrot muffins

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....34602

Pasta with caramelized leek and pea sauce- sauté crushed garlic in oil, add mint, lemon, salt and pepper and pea puree.

Pea soup with added diced onion garlic celery carrot

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:01 pm
Butternut squash soup
Carrot muffins

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:03 pm
Thank you!!
Any other soup ideas?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:03 pm
Also what can make with the baby cereal?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:06 pm
amother OP wrote:

Do not serve it to adults. Gag.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:09 pm
amother OP wrote:

I can't look it up right now, but there's a great recipe for oatmeal cookies, with the oats baby cereal. I don't know about the rice one. I only used to get the oatmeal one for my babies.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:13 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
Do not serve it to adults. Gag.
lol
I meant recipes

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 9:14 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
I can't look it up right now, but there's a great recipe for oatmeal cookies, with the oats baby cereal. I don't know about the rice one. I only used to get the oatmeal one for my babies.

Oh! This sounds great!
I'd really appreciate you posting it later on

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 10:12 pm
It was similar to this- I found online from a blog "She dreams in Stars"

Chewy Baby Cereal Oatmeal Cookies
So, I took the liberty of trying to solve my own baby cereal issue by making cookies with them. I get a lot of free baby cereal from WIC, and as much as I appreciate that they give it to me, my daughter doesn’t eat it. I originally had taken the cereal because I figured other moms could use it, and quite the contrary… they’re in the same boat as me.

The majority of the baby cereal I have is oatmeal, I’m sure this will work the same for the other types of cereals like rice and multigrain (as I have both so I’m sure I’ll try it). Also, my daughter and I can BOTH enjoy them and she likes them, as do the rest of my family.

Makes about 32-36 Cookies
3/4 cup Sugar

Advertisement

1/4 cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) of margarine or butter; softened

1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

1 egg

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 1/2 cups baby cereal (if you want to make normal oatmeal cookies, it’s 1 1/2 cups of quick-cook rolled oats)

1 cup of dried fruit (optional) (I didn’t have any raisins so I used a nut/fruit mix and just picked out the raisins/craisins/cherries for the recipe)

——————————

1. Heat oven to 375F & grease the cookie sheets!

2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, and margarine; beat until light and fluffy

3. Add vanilla and the egg; blend well.

4. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix well.

5. Stir in oats and dried fruit.

6. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased cookie sheet

7. Bake at 375F for 7-10 minutes (I did 9) or until edges are light golden brown. Let cook for 1 minute and remove from cookie sheet

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:02 pm
The baby cereal is junk. I never gave it to my babies.

HappyMamma

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:17 pm
I make oatmeal muffins that call for buttermilk, instead of soaking oats in that I soak it in two baby food jars (can be carrot, sweet potato, apple mango, etc..) and add 3/4 c of water to the mix. Comes out delish. I can post the recipe if people are interested.

amother
OP

amother Honeysuckle wrote:
It was similar to this- I found online from a blog "She dreams in Stars"

So, I took the liberty of trying to solve my own baby cereal issue by making cookies with them. I get a lot of free baby cereal from WIC, and as much as I appreciate that they give it to me, my daughter doesn’t eat it. I originally had taken the cereal because I figured other moms could use it, and quite the contrary… they’re in the same boat as me.

The majority of the baby cereal I have is oatmeal, I’m sure this will work the same for the other types of cereals like rice and multigrain (as I have both so I’m sure I’ll try it). Also, my daughter and I can BOTH enjoy them and she likes them, as do the rest of my family.

Makes about 32-36 Cookies
3/4 cup Sugar

Advertisement

1/4 cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) of margarine or butter; softened

1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

1 egg

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 1/2 cups baby cereal (if you want to make normal oatmeal cookies, it’s 1 1/2 cups of quick-cook rolled oats)

1 cup of dried fruit (optional) (I didn’t have any raisins so I used a nut/fruit mix and just picked out the raisins/craisins/cherries for the recipe)

——————————

1. Heat oven to 375F & grease the cookie sheets!

2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, and margarine; beat until light and fluffy

3. Add vanilla and the egg; blend well.

4. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix well.

5. Stir in oats and dried fruit.

6. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased cookie sheet

7. Bake at 375F for 7-10 minutes (I did 9) or until edges are light golden brown. Let cook for 1 minute and remove from cookie sheet

Thanks!

amother
Anemone

Both the fruits and the baby cereal can be added to smoothies for great nutritional bulk easily. (In fact, if you're just using purees jars and baby cereal, you don't even need a blender to make the smoothie)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:19 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
The baby cereal is junk. I never gave it to my babies.

What do you mean by junk? It's in no way organic free range farro growing in the meadows lol....
But in no way worse than Cheerios or corn flakes

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:20 pm
HappyMamma wrote:
I make oatmeal muffins that call for buttermilk, instead of soaking oats in that I soak it in two baby food jars (can be carrot, sweet potato, apple mango, etc..) and add 3/4 c of water to the mix. Comes out delish. I can post the recipe if people are interested.

Yes please!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:21 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
Both the fruits and the baby cereal can be added to smoothies for great nutritional bulk easily. (In fact, if you're just using purees jars and baby cereal, you don't even need a blender to make the smoothie)

Love this idea! Thanks!

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Dec 29 2023, 12:36 am
I've spread about 4 fruit flavored jars on a Parchment paper on a metal sheet pan. I baked it on 200 for about 5 hours, or until completely dry. You get delicious free fruit leather!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics