Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
What should you think when you see a child with (leg) braces

amother

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 1:45 pm
I have a 2 year old son that wears braces on his legs because his legs are bowed. B"h it is a correctable problem, and he will have to wear the braces for around a year altogether. He is actually almost done. Initially we were very upset when we found out. I don't know if I was more upset about the problem, or more nervous about what others would think. We adjusted well as did he. While at the beginning I felt bad wondering what the world must be thinking when I went out, as I adjusted I didn't give it much thought. At the beginning I saw a child with leg braces, but as I adjusted I saw my adorable son that could brighten a room with the braces being part of his clothing. I took them off and put them on for him each day. At the beginning I felt the need to tell each person I met that his braces were temporary before they even had a chance to wonder, despite the fact that it was way off topic. Now that he can run quickly, jump, play on the playground, and climb a bunkbed with the braces, I practically don't remember they are there. I don't tell people, and what other people may be thinking doesn't even cross my mind.

This summer I ran into an old acquaintance 2 days in a row. The first day we just said hello. The second day we spoke, and for some reason I mentioned that the braces are temporary... She told me that she is so glad to hear that, she felt so terrible for us, she could not sleep the whole night. I am not writing this because what she said bothers me. That could have been me before I had this experience. I just want people to know that there's not a tragic story behind each thing you see.

I've considered whether the right thing to do in this situation is tell each and every person I see. Should I have to track who I told and who I didn't. I think people should change the way they look at things. I know I have.

JMto2

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 1:51 pm
I would look twice, if I knew you and knew the story I would be happy that you are taking care of it now & support you. like you said they are temporary and even forget now that he has it I would also probably forget that they are there and also in 2 years no one will remember he had them. I would not label the child though.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 1:58 pm
I'd probably notice the braces, but wouldn't think much about it. Most likely, I'd just assume he had them to correct bowed legs.

anon

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 2:19 pm
I would be worried if I saw it, so I would appreciate if the mother told me it was temporary. I don't think you have to go nuts making sure to tell each person you see, but in general if you have a habit of telling people, it would make them much happier.

Motek

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 3:10 pm
anon wrote:
I would be worried if I saw it, so I would appreciate if the mother told me it was temporary. I don't think you have to go nuts making sure to tell each person you see, but in general if you have a habit of telling people, it would make them much happier.

I agree!

de_goldy

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 4:02 pm
I think that was a beautiful post amother. Thank you!

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 4:55 pm
I wouldn't think a/thing scarey when I see a child with braces, so many kids today wear braces to correct a temporary problem.. I do however wonder what kind of disability the child has. simply bec. I work in a special ed school.. and it's on my mind all day..

shopaholic

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 8:42 pm
I know a 6 year old who used to, maybe still has braces. I never thought more than a second about it. She has braces on her legs because they're not so strong, she's bowlegged etc. End of story. I've discussed it with her mother but she brought it up 7 it was a very normal, non chalante chat.

Motek

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 8:49 pm
SevenSenses wrote:
so many kids today wear braces to correct a temporary problem..

I can't remember the last time I saw a kid in leg braces!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics