Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
My 4 Yr Old Twin Girls-not progressing academically the same
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 9:35 pm
As a mom of multiple kids, one who is clearly gifted and one who is learning disabled, I can tell you there is a whole range in any class. Diff. levels don't mean they need to be in a diff. class as long as they both fall into the approp. range for their age. Your child is 4, you don't know her future whatsoever. Please stop losing sleep over whether or not she will one day be behind. She is not behind right now just b/c she's not picking it up quickly and there's a lot more to school than just reading skills. Give her time and give her extra help but at this point you don't need to be worried. Just keep your eyes open.

Btw your school is a full yr ahead of my kids' school in terms of what's expected with aleph beis/kriah. Not all school push start reading skills so early b/c reading is really a developmental milestone that can't be pushed.

momx6

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 10:18 pm
amother wrote:
As a mom of multiple kids, one who is clearly gifted and one who is learning disabled, I can tell you there is a whole range in any class. Diff. levels don't mean they need to be in a diff. class as long as they both fall into the approp. range for their age. Your child is 4, you don't know her future whatsoever. Please stop losing sleep over whether or not she will one day be behind. She is not behind right now just b/c she's not picking it up quickly and there's a lot more to school than just reading skills. Give her time and give her extra help but at this point you don't need to be worried. Just keep your eyes open.

Btw your school is a full yr ahead of my kids' school in terms of what's expected with aleph beis/kriah. Not all school push start reading skills so early b/c reading is really a developmental milestone that can't be pushed.

My girls will be 5 after succos. At this point they are required to know whatever letters they learned so far and the sounds. The girls are very shy with their teachers so I'm wondering if the the teachers dont know how much/how little the twins actually know.
My husband keeps telling me not to worry but it's that niggling feeling in the pit of my stomach. Confused

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 11:26 pm
momx5 wrote:

My girls will be 5 after succos. At this point they are required to know whatever letters they learned so far and the sounds. The girls are very shy with their teachers so I'm wondering if the the teachers dont know how much/how little the twins actually know.
My husband keeps telling me not to worry but it's that niggling feeling in the pit of my stomach. Confused

Will they be the youngest in the class? Would you consider repeating them both?
In most schools in Pre1A/Primary the children are expected to know the complete Aleph-Bet as they will be taught to read that year.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 12:03 am
I wouldn't recommend holding back the advanced twin to keep them together.
A big part of school is learning how to focus and exercise the brain. When a smart child isn't challenged, she can spend a lot of time imagining just because she's bored, build up the part of her brain she uses for creativity, but not build up the part she uses to focus and concentrate. Then when school becomes really challenging in later grades, she may lack the skills to concentrate. (This is one theory about why many children who are smart and catch on quickly in earlier grades develop ADD in later grades.)
If the less advanced twin is at least within an acceptable level for her class (ASK THE TEACHER!) then I would sooner try private tutoring for her than hold them both back.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 9:47 am
I dont have experience with twins but I know the feeling of worrying about a childs progress, so I really sympathize.
As a kindergarten teacher I would say definately discuss her progress with the teacher. If she can get more help and attention THIS year it will help her to be able to move on next year.
Also as you mentioned, you have the skills to help her at home...it is really hard to make time, but try and find pockets of time to do focused activities with her.

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 11:13 am
That's such a difficult situation that their school only has one class per grade.

I have triplets, they're 2 boys and a girl and they're turning 6. In my case the two boys haven't been in the same school together for most of the time because one of them was transferred to a special ed program halfway through his first year of headstart. So having the two boys in the same class wasn't really even a possibility for me.

If you are in the position of being able to pay a tutor that may be the way to go especially if you can have someone in the spring and the summer, otherwise maybe you are better off having them in different grades. B'hatzlacha.

momx6

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 8:46 pm
op here,
Well, wouldnt you know it.. The principal called me today to talk about the girls academic issues and she's meeting with us next week. I knew that this was going to happen one of these days. Oh well! Now I have to wait to see what she wants us to do. Most likely they will have to repeat kindergarten-I guess its not the worst thing that could happen!

Thanks for all the advice you guys gave!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more