Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Bas mitzva speech

imato5

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 5:42 pm
Can someone help me with my daughters bas mitzva speech? I didnt grow up so frum, so I dont know how to help her write this. I want to tie in the parsha of behalotzcha to her speech and also want to tie in the fact that she is cutting off her hair the next day to donate to chai lifeline. I want it to be a special speech and I just cant do it. Can someone help me out pls? Thanks

cm

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 5:48 pm
I am sure you will find plenty of help here, but may I suggest that she write her own speech?

imato5

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 8:28 pm
Thanks, she is adding her own brachos at the end to give to her family

singleagain

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 8:36 pm
I'll be happy to help, do u have a certain part of the parsha you want.....

Arcy

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 8:54 pm
why are you writing writing your dd's speech? do all parents write their kids speeches? I wrote my own. I guess times have changed.

Good luck and mazel tov on your dd's bas mitzvah

imato5

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 8:54 pm
nope not really. You are so sweet!!! And the invitations came out great.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 8:59 pm
It's shortly after Shavuos; would she be open to sharing inspirational thoughts from Megillas Rus? I can give you a few of those off the top of my head if so.

singleagain

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 9:00 pm
All right, I'll start looking, and yay, I'm so glad they came out alright.

imato5

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 9:02 pm
thank u tranquility, thats an interesting thought

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 9:34 pm
Hey, I grew up frum and didn't have a bas mitzvah, parents didn't believe in it, so we're on equal footing ;-)

If you have access to a Rav Hirsch commentary, there is mindblowing stuff you might be able to distill on topics towards the end, like erchin, and maaser.
There's a beautiful vort I saw in an anthology about how the topic of erchin, the value of each person, follows the tochacha. The reason is that after the tochacha we might be shattered and feel we have no potential. But Hashem wants to remind us that all of us have intrinsic value.

Mazel tov!

imasinger

Post Sun, May 06 2012, 10:47 pm
The last part of the parsha is a story that a lot of kids can relate to -- the b'nai yisrael complaining about not having enough good food to eat, to the point where Moshe was beside himself, and the punishment that followed. Maybe she would like to talk about that story. She could think about when it is appropriate to complain, and when we need to accept what we are given. She could talk about selfish vs. unselfish actions or comments. From that, it would be easy to transition to how she wants to help others who are suffering by donating her hair.

Just one thought among many. I'd encourage her to start by reading through the parsha carefully and looking at one or two commentaries in more depth. Have her develop a list of questions that interest her, and then choose one or two to focus on and look for answers.

imato5

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 8:38 am
anyone else?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club