Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How do I dress her for the bar mitzva?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:25 pm
Have a 8 year old girl who is overweight and very tall. She's 5"9 taller than most adults and wears XXL. She's really overweight has a big belly.
How do I dress her for a bar mitzva?
Most people I see dress their little girls in poof and tulle but she would look ridiculous in that. She can't wear a sleek long dress because anything long usually has a waist and things with waists dont fit .
Her best look is regular knee length shabbos dresses that have a yoke on top or just swing style ...
But I want her fancier than a regular shabbos dress. How can I dress her in a floor length dress?
Really unsure .
Any ideas ?
Links even better.

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:28 pm
I’d get whatever looks best on her. She doesn’t have to wear a certain style.

Busybee5

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:30 pm
I found a dress on Ali that might suit your daughter better than mine. I'll try to link it. I'm still thinking about it because mine is the opposite, short and skinny. Almost 8 and I'm not sure how this dress will look on her. It's a gorgeous dress for the right figure though. Comes in navy and pink.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:30 pm
amother Holly wrote:
I’d get whatever looks best on her. She doesn’t have to wear a certain style.

This. Get her an extra nice one of the style she normally wears. With her hair done and nice accessories (bow if applicable, new shoes) I'm sure she will look beautiful

Busybee5

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:31 pm
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out!
£14.19 30%OFF | AP Navy Collection Fall Girls Silk Satin Dress Family Matching Clothes Boys Plaid Pants Overalls Baby Romper Polo Sweater, #7701
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQUf909

Busybee5

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:33 pm
I like this too.

£16.39 24%OFF | 2023 Long Sleeve Girl Dress Plaid Princess Party Kids Clothing Children's Wear 100% Cotton Autumn Fashion Girls Autumn Clothes
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EIRaKq9

Busybee5

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:33 pm
This might be good on your daughter.

£15.89 30%OFF | AP Coral Collection SS24 Girls Smocked Dress Baby Kids Romper Family Matching Clothing Set Children Knitting Cardigan, #6602
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Ewzadud

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Have a 8 year old girl who is overweight and very tall. She's 5"9 taller than most adults and wears XXL. She's really overweight has a big belly.
Most people I see dress their little girls in poof and tulle but she would look ridiculous in that. She can't wear a sleek long dress because anything long usually has a waist and things with waists dont fit .
Her best look is regular knee length shabbos dresses that have a yoke on top or just swing style ...
But I want her fancier than a regular shabbos dress. How can I dress her in a floor length dress?
Really unsure .
Any ideas ?
Links even better.

Last year I tried on many styles in kidichic for my sons bar mitvah that were straght cut and go up to size 20. They were not long, but they were fancy. In my Lakewood circles a young girl is not wearing long, shes wearing short fancy. (Teens and up wear long).
They have a lot of tulley, sparkley, things usually (didnt try this year). If shes really 5"9 not sure if its long enough but the largest sides would fit an adult.

I have also had success at Little Women Too.( in Lakewood). They have a simcha line.

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:24 pm
Can you find a basic shabbos dress that fits her nicely and then buy some fancy trimming from a fabric store and have a seamstress dress it up? Sometimes adding a satin or velvet or diamond type trim can change the look completely.

amother
Grape

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:29 pm
https://www.littleragsandriche.....cream
This is a beautiful maxi dress that works well for child who’s overweight. It’s pricey but looks amazing on. With her being so tall it might fit like a midi instead of maxi but might work very well.
The waistline is not narrow & drops in the back for a very flattering fit.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:36 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
I found a dress on Ali that might suit your daughter better than mine. I'll try to link it. I'm still thinking about it because mine is the opposite, short and skinny. Almost 8 and I'm not sure how this dress will look on her. It's a gorgeous dress for the right figure though. Comes in navy and pink.

OP, please don't get your daughter a junk from Ali for the occasion.

Busybee5

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:37 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
OP, please don't get your daughter a junk from Ali for the occasion.

Why does it matter how much op pays? I don't get this mentality at all
If it's a nice dress and suits the girl who cares how much it costs?!

Also I'm sure she needs at least 2 dresses so as a second one even it might be good.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:38 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
Why does it matter how much op pays? I don't get this mentality at all
If it's a nice dress and suits the girl who cares how much it costs?!

Also I'm sure she needs at least 2 dresses so as a second one even if might be good.

It's not about the pay. It's the fit, quality, and look.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Really unsure .
Any ideas ?
Links even better.

I saw a beautiful lace swing dress the other day:
https://store.daintyjewells.co.....lors/

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:39 pm
https://lilyandtoddny.com/coll.....-pink

Busybee5

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:41 pm
amother Puce wrote:
I saw a beautiful lace swing dress the other day:
https://store.daintyjewells.co.....lors/

Nice for a grown up, you need to remember that she's only 8! That's very young. I personally don't think long or midi for an overweight young girl would look that good short is more flattering

Busybee5

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:41 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
It's not about the pay. It's the fit, quality, and look.

And who says this won't fit well and be of similar quality to a pricier dress?

Busybee5

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:42 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
https://lilyandtoddny.com/collections/girls-simcha-dress/products/sws24so205-pink

This is pretty.

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 4:01 pm
Im having a very hard time picturing an 8yr old thats 5'9!

I dont think that number is correct.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 4:02 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
And who says this won't fit well and be of similar quality to a pricier dress?

That's generally not the situation with Ali dresses.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics