Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Can cooked brown rice be frozen?

eshes chayil

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 11:06 am
I made brown rice for supper, and have way too much leftovers. Anyone ever tried freezing brown rice? I made it in a light tomato sauce, and thinking it would probably be enough to use as a side dish for at least 3 meals.
what do you think?

morahtikvah

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 11:33 am
I freeze rice all the time. The loss in quality is slight and well worth the convenience. I don't know how liquidy your rice is but often I need to add a tiny bit of water and heat the rice through.

eshes chayil

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 11:38 am
thanks! The liquid needs to be added before freezing? or when defrosting?

Happy 2B

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 3:46 pm
you add some water when warming it up so that it's more fresh tasting. I also do it all the time. If you are planning to freeze it you can make sure it's more undercooked than overcooked so it's not mushy!

de_goldy

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 4:07 pm
I do it all the time, but I like my rice more mushy.

seeker

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 5:19 pm
I've done it. A picky palate might notice a little downgrade in the texture. I'm pretty finicky though and I'm OK with it, "bedieved."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes