Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
What should my goal weight be?

amother

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 12:48 pm
I have been losing weight for a awhile now and I think I'm getting down there b'h! My question is what is a good goal weight for me? I'm 5'1, and currently weigh about 130. thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 9:29 pm
what does your dr say ?

amother

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 11:12 pm
130 is a healthy weight for someone who is 5'1" but I know I'd like to go a little lower so that I'm not right at the edge where if I gain a pound I'm overweight. So maybe 120 but Chocolate Moose is right why don't you ask your doctor?

Use a BMI calculator there are many available online and pick something in the middle.

spring13

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 11:21 pm
It depends on your build - your shape, your muscle tone, etc. I'm actually a little shorter than you are, but would consider 130 to be a very healthy weight for me.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 8:19 am
It really depends on your build. I'm petite; 5 feet three inches and 130 is way too much for me.

SS6099

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 10:40 am
And I'm 5 foot 3 inches and I look very average weighing 130. I'm built differently. Each person to her own build, but the BMI chart is a good guide.

freidasima

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 10:51 am
Depends also on age, not only bone structure etc.
I loved the charts of my youth, they made sense and that was long before the time that anyone ever heard the term BMI.
In those days they used to say that if you were my height, five foot two, you should probably weigh somewhere between 110 and 130 lbs. 110 if you are a slim very active teen, 130 if you are a heavier boned sedentary middle aged woman. Yep makes sense. As a kid I was indeed active and remember weighing between 112 and 117 lbs. As a sedentary middle aged woman you end up heavier, and 125-130 sounds good.
Now for your height. Used to be that one started with five feet and 100 lbs and worked up from there, each inch another 5 lbs.
So according to those charts depending on your age, build and energy level you should probably weigh - give or take - between 105 and 125 lbs. Does that work according to BMI charts? I think so...as someone said, if you are middling in terms of age and status, have kids, have gone through pregnancies, then somewhere in the middle of that is a good goal, Maybe around 115-120. But if you have big bones, add. and if you are really slight, subtract.

there is no "torah" on this one, it's a matter of how you look good, feel good, carry it, and whether you keep active.
Hatzlocho!

amother

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 12:10 pm
Thanks for all the responses. I am in my early thirties and have a pretty sedentary lifestyle (mostly due to my job) and have a bunch of kids b'ah. I am not big boned, more petite. So do you think 115 is a good goal?

MrsDash

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 1:26 pm
It's really hard to say what your goal weight should be. Some at 5'1 can be healthy, and fit looking at 90 pounds, while others will look just as fit, and healthy at 130 pounds. You have to figure out what's best for your body type. If you're unhappy with how you look, aim for small weight loss goals. First, go for 125. If clothes aren't fitting the way you wish they'd fit, or if you feel there are still problem areas, create another goal. Remember, don't get too caught up with the number on the scale. Start measuring yourself. Losing inches goes a long way, and sometimes without much weight loss. Most of it has to do with how YOU feel about yourself. Eating healthy, and exercising keeps you happy, and more satisfied with the way you look. Dieting is one of the HARDEST things to deal with in life. Congrats on the weight you've lost so far! You're doing great!

amother

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 8:47 pm
I've been losing weight this year. I'm 5'2 and started at 142 pounds. Today I was at my dr and I weighed 117. He told me that I should basically stop losing.

spring13

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 10:09 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. I am in my early thirties and have a pretty sedentary lifestyle (mostly due to my job) and have a bunch of kids b'ah. I am not big boned, more petite. So do you think 115 is a good goal?

I would be aiming to become more fit then, as opposed to just losing pounds. You'll lose weight, but your overall health will improve too. Don't just diet the number down, you won't necessarily be much healthier that way.

amother

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 10:30 pm
I am 5"1 also - right now I am fluctuating 113-116 but I have gained some weight since Pesach (I was 110 then).
Also early 30s.
My dr thinks the less I weigh the worse it is in terms of menstruating and such. I was nursing clean but out of nowhere I gained 4 pounds and got a period and havent lost that weight yet but perhaps it was my bodies way of saying I need to be a certain weight in order to function healthily and maybe those extra few pounds should stick around though I do make a half hearted attempt to lose them.
I guess there is a fine line...doctors want you lean but not too thin either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise