Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Looking for Gluten Free recipes

Butterfly

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 7:46 am
A family member of mine is on a "gluten free, sugar free, and soy free diet, for health purposes.. There are lots of ready to buy kosher gluten free products in the health food stores, but are sooo expensive... I would gladly bake for her, if I can get some "tested" recipes.
If anyone has a good recipe for "HAMOTZIE" bread or challah, please share. Looking for cookies and muffin recipes too. She is trying to avoid eggs too, (due to slight egg allergy)but if the recipe calls for it, I can use "egg replacement"

Thanks in advance

mandksima

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 8:31 am
We were on a very similiar diet and even more restricted. Unfortunately, hamotzi bread is hard to come by as There is oat matzah that you can buy leftover from pesach that is hamotzi. I have LOTS of recipes, some I have posted before and plenty that I haven't. My mother thinks I should put out a cookbook with them all but truthfully none of the recipes are mine. I just tried every online recipe I could and most of them were terrible so I weeded through them.

I have a decent shehakol bread recipe, great cake recipe (has eggs but you can try the replacer), donut recipe, cookie recipes. Use any pesach recipe without matzah meal. Eggs are hard to avoid but I've used the egg replacer powder and it has worked too in certain recipes.

There are a few threads already with some recipes, search those first or ask me specifically for which recipe you want.

Butterfly

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 9:30 am
Mandksima, Originally I looked through the threads before I posted mine. unless you can guide me where I can find your original posts.. I couldn't find more than "one" recipe throughout the threads.., and that one calls for a lot of sugar, instant pudding..the recipe sounds scrumptious, but wouldn't be ideal for her.. unless I can substitute the sugar with xylitol. Most of the Pesach recipes are loaded with eggs and sugar .. If you don't mind to post your cake, cookie and donut recipes, I would highly appreciate it. About the oat Matzohs, of course they serve the purpose.. but Pessach was more than enough for her.. besides, they are sooo expensive.. For now we buy "Hamotzie" bread and Challa from a "heimishe" co., but I'd love to bake it myself, if I only knew of a good tested recipe..
I feel sorry for her, because I constantly bake cakes and Challahs for the family, and I'm sure it would make her feel good if I baked specifically for her too...
Thank you for your time.

red sea

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 11:11 am
when you say gluten free do you mean 100% or does se eat any oats or spelt? Then I will try to post a few.

Butterfly

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 4:22 pm
She may not have spelt, because there is a some gluten in spelt flour, and she has to be 100% off gluten. As for oat flour, I guess there should be gluten free oat flour on the market, since we had gluten free "OAT" Matzohs for Pesach... It was the oats that made it Hamotzie. If you have a tested bread or challah recipe with oat flour, even if combined with other gluten free flours, I would appreciate it very much.

mandksima

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 5:52 pm
Oat Flour Challah

3 C oat flour (must say gluten free)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 C sugar or equivilent
1 packet yeast
2 tsp hot water
2 eggs or equivilent of flax seed mix below
1/4 C oil
1/4 C rice milk
3/4 C hot water
2 1/2 tsp xantham gum

Dissolve yeast, 2 tsp sugar and 2 tsp hot water (you may need to add a little more water from the 3/4 C of hot water mentioned later.) Set aside. Mix dry, add oil and mix. Add rest, eggs last. Pour yeast mixture in and mix 5 min. Will be sticky in the end. Cover and place in warm place for 1 hr. Mix by hand 5 min and divide into rolls or loaves and rise and cover for 45 min- 1 hr. Bake 15-20 min for rolls at 375, more for loaves.

This recipe was the most decent I could find but we never really loved it as oat flour has a certain taste. The same rabbi who oversees the oat matzah makes the flour or there is another brand, Cream Hill Estates.

As an egg replacer, I have used flax seed meal successfully -
mix 1 T flax seed meal with 3 T boiling water and let set 15 minutes. Then whisk well. This replaces 1 egg in baked good recipes.

Gluten free Blondies

1 C brown rice flour
1 C sorghum flour
2/3 C tapioca flour
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 C oil
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 C sugar or equivilent
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs or equivilent
6 oz choc chips
opt 1 C chopped walnuts and/or 1 C raisins

Mix oil and sugar, add eggs and vanilla. Add dry and mix. Add chips and other additions.Spread in cookie sheet type pan and bake at 350 for 25-30.min.

I have had mixed results with these. Try them and let me know if you like them.

Super Yellow Cake

1 1/2 C white rice flour
3/4 C tapioca flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xantham gum
4 eggs or equivilent (I've only made this with real eggs myself)
1 1/4 C sugar
2/3 C mayonaise (I'm not sure if you'll find this without soy when it's without eggs but try making your own with egg substitute)
1 C rice milk
2 tsp vanilla

Preheat to 350 Mix flours with salt, bak.powder, bak. soda, xantham gum and set aside. Mix eggs, sugar and mayo until fluffy. Add flour mixture, milk and vanilla and mix well. Bake 25 min or until done.

I have made this marble by saving 1 C of batter and mixing with 1/4 C cocoa and a few drops of rice milk to get it to the same consistancy. Pour yellow batter in pans and then cocoa mixture on top and swirl back and forth with a knife.

You could also make it chocolate cake by adding about 2/3 C cocoa and 1/2 C extra rice milk.

Easy Donut Holes

1 egg or equivilent
1/2 C sugar or equivilent
3/8 C rice milk
1 T oil
1 3/4 C flour mix ( mix this separately and keep on hand - 2 C white rice flour, 2/3 C potato starch, 1/3 C tapioca flour)
1 3/4 tsp xantham gum
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Mix egg, add sugar, oil and milk. Mix in dry ingredients. Fry in skillet with at least 1 inch of oil by dropping in small scoops, 6 at a time to keep temperature even. While still warm, shake in paper bag with cinnamon/sugar mixture or pour over sugar glaze.

These are great fresh, not so great the next day.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 3/4 C oat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
1/3 C oil
1 T flax seed meal
1/4 C rice milk
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 C choc chips

Preheat to 375. Sift together flour, soda and salt. Set aside. In bowl, whisk flax seed meal and milk. Add sugar and stir, add oil and vanilla and mix 1 min or so until mixture is emulsified. Mix wet ingredients into dry, fold in chips. Drop onto cookie sheet and bake 10 min. Let cool 5 min and then transfer to cookie rack. These are better underdone so take out exactly at 10 min and let harden on counter.

Butterfly, I have only made these recipes with real sugar and some only with real eggs but at least you have something to work with now. All flours and xanthum gum can be bought at health food stores or online. Good Luck!

Butterfly

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 7:18 pm
Mandksima, I can't thank you enough for your great help. You gave so much of your precious time and most importantly heart and feeling... and it is being highly appreciated. I was looking high and low, Internet included, for a Hamotzee bread/Challah recipe, and couldn't find anything that sounded sensible.. Now I just have to shop for the ingredients and get myself busy busy. Your other recipes sound scrumptious. I have two question for you; 1- about the G.F. Blondies.. is it a cake? or cookies? and 2- about the Challah recipe.. I was wondering if it would make much of a difference in the recipe, consistency, and all.. if I would mix the oat flour with other flours.. so it wouldn't have such an oaty flavor, and yet would remain Hamotzee.. Have you ever tried doing it? If you think it's o.k. how should I go about doing it?.. Hope I'm not too much of a burden.

Thank you so much. You should be Gebenched with Chasudim Tovim always.

cookielady

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 7:40 pm
This is great for me too. My father is on a gluten free diet. Thanks for posting these!

mandksima

Post Fri, Jul 11 2008, 2:23 am
Butterfly wrote:
Mandksima, I can't thank you enough for your great help. You gave so much of your precious time and most importantly heart and feeling... and it is being highly appreciated. I was looking high and low, Internet included, for a Hamotzee bread/Challah recipe, and couldn't find anything that sounded sensible.. Now I just have to shop for the ingredients and get myself busy busy. Your other recipes sound scrumptious. I have two question for you; 1- about the G.F. Blondies.. is it a cake? or cookies? and 2- about the Challah recipe.. I was wondering if it would make much of a difference in the recipe, consistency, and all.. if I would mix the oat flour with other flours.. so it wouldn't have such an oaty flavor, and yet would remain Hamotzee.. Have you ever tried doing it? If you think it's o.k. how should I go about doing it?.. Hope I'm not too much of a burden.

Thank you so much. You should be Gebenched with Chasudim Tovim always.

The blondies are white brownies basically so very flat and chewie. Try sticking in coconut or other stuff for better taste perhaps.

I'm not sure what percentage oat flour you need for the challah to remain hamotzi. I believe when I asked a similiar question, it was at least 51%. I don't think the taste will alter significantly if using other flours and the oat one might make it heavier, better for challah. Well, try it both ways. The oat flour is more expensive so maybe try it mixed first. Ask you LOR about the heckshers, the Bob's Red Mill Brand wass okayed by my rav even thoug it has a different hecksher. I've never used the Cream Hill Estate brand or checked up on it but since it is just flour, your LOR will hopefully ok it. I think it has to be ordered on line. Take out a mortgage first.

tovasmom

Post Fri, Jul 11 2008, 9:12 am
Are you sure the bob's red mill oat flour is gluten free? I don't think the website indicates that it is. Does the package? I just ran across gluten free oat flour on a site called heavenmillsbakery.com. It is a local heimishe company in boro park that does gluten free baked goods. The website is worth checking out and you could order from there.

mandksima

Post Fri, Jul 11 2008, 9:16 am
tovasmom wrote:
Are you sure the bob's red mill oat flour is gluten free? I don't think the website indicates that it is. Does the package? I just ran across gluten free oat flour on a site called heavenmillsbakery.com. It is a local heimishe company in boro park that does gluten free baked goods. The website is worth checking out and you could order from there.

I'm glad you caught that. I didn't mean to imply that the bob's red mill OAT flour is gluten free. It definitely is not. I meant that brand for other flours that were in the recipes. They'll say gluten free on the package if they are. I'm glad you found a local brand for the Oat flour. I'm in Israel and the brands are different but mostly I had friends and family bring me those items from the States.

Butterfly

Post Fri, Jul 11 2008, 2:44 pm
I shop "Heaven mills" products directly from their warehouse inBoro Park. They sell their delicious products, cakes cookies and all.. in all heimish health food stores all over N.Y. including upstate N.Y. New Jersey and Lakewood... They are the only Heimish co. that bakes Hamotzee and Mezonos breads and Challahs. I know the owners personally, and as I was told by them, their G.F. oat flours are imported and kosher certified.. They buy them in huge sacks.. I never had the guts to ask if they wouldn't mind to sell some flour to me.. If I won't find any kosher g.f. oat flour in the health stores, I might just ask..?? They are a wonderful heimish family working very hard to make a living, by helping so many people in need of G.F. products.
Hope I'll find a kosher G.F. oat flour in the health food stores imy'h. Will keap you posted..

tovasmom

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 12:05 am
Butterfly wrote:
I shop "Heaven mills" products directly from their warehouse inBoro Park. They sell their delicious products, cakes cookies and all.. in all heimish health food stores all over N.Y. including upstate N.Y. New Jersey and Lakewood... They are the only Heimish co. that bakes Hamotzee and Mezonos breads and Challahs. I know the owners personally, and as I was told by them, their G.F. oat flours are imported and kosher certified.. They buy them in huge sacks.. I never had the guts to ask if they wouldn't mind to sell some flour to me.. If I won't find any kosher g.f. oat flour in the health stores, I might just ask..?? They are a wonderful heimish family working very hard to make a living, by helping so many people in need of G.F. products.
Hope I'll find a kosher G.F. oat flour in the health food stores imy'h. Will keap you posted..
They sell the flour online, so why wouldn't they sell it to you. butterfly, I'd love to visit their warehouse, what is the address, the hours?

Butterfly

Post Sun, Jul 13 2008, 12:48 am
Tovasmom, wow! I had no idea that they sell their flour too. never checked their website. and never had the guts to ask..I will imy'h inquire
Their address is 1242 53rd st. downstairs (basement level) phone #, 718-972-5933
People in the area just pop in.. the door is usually open while the workers are around. They don't have specific hours, because it is not a store for the public.. If you're not within the area, make sure to call to find out when they are available to service you.. They welcome everyone.
Good luck

Butterfly

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 9:49 pm
B"H I found gluten free oat flour today at Zahler's health food store on 13th av. in Boro Park. I saw it later on at Landau's H.F. store,.. lol.. It's from "Cateau Cream Hill Estates" Lara's whole grain OAT Flour. It is MK Pareve. Heaven's Mills sells oat flour too.. thanks Tovasmom for making me aware.. I checked it out on there website (which I didn't know existed..) and they are even less expensive than the brand I bought. Wonder if theirs is whole grain too.. Hope to bake before shabbos imy"h. Still trying to figure out which flours would be best to mix it with. Dd's Dr. says she may have very little spelt occasionally, but he'd rather she be gluten free.
She's not suffering from celiac disease B"H, but has other intestinal inflammatory problems.
I'm thinking whether I should bake from 1/2 oats and 1/2 spelt.. or mix it with other G.F. flours
I suppose the spelt might give it a better hold and texture..?? Have till Erev Shabos to decide..

Butterfly

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 9:59 pm
Want to bake Mandskima's cookies. DD loves choco chip cookies. Anyone know where I can find Kosher "sugar free" choc. chips? Checked out the web... nothing..

Last edited by Butterfly on Tue, Jul 15 2008, 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

tovasmom

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 10:10 am
The recipe was mandksima's. I'm not so careful with sugar for my celiac dd, so I would use reg. choc. chips (maybe I'll make them too!, dd loves choc. chips) have you considered carob?

Butterfly

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 1:54 pm
Sorry Tovasmom for giving you the credit for Mandskima's delicious recipes. What a careless mistake.. I fixed the previous post already.. so now you can edit yours too.. lol..
My Challah dough is rising now B"H, Will keep you posted after Shabbos for results imy"h.
BTW the only kosher sugar free carob chips contain dairy, so I'll bake the cookies with coconuts and add a very small amount of the reg. choc. chips.

cranberry

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 10:21 am
mandksima wrote:
Oat Flour Challah

3 C oat flour (must say gluten free)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 C sugar or equivilent
1 packet yeast
2 tsp hot water
2 eggs or equivilent of flax seed mix below
1/4 C oil
1/4 C rice milk
3/4 C hot water
2 1/2 tsp xantham gum

Dissolve yeast, 2 tsp sugar and 2 tsp hot water (you may need to add a little more water from the 3/4 C of hot water mentioned later.) Set aside. Mix dry, add oil and mix. Add rest, eggs last. Pour yeast mixture in and mix 5 min. Will be sticky in the end. Cover and place in warm place for 1 hr. Mix by hand 5 min and divide into rolls or loaves and rise and cover for 45 min- 1 hr. Bake 15-20 min for rolls at 375, more for loaves.

This recipe was the most decent I could find but we never really loved it as oat flour has a certain taste. The same rabbi who oversees the oat matzah makes the flour or there is another brand, Cream Hill Estates.

As an egg replacer, I have used flax seed meal successfully -
mix 1 T flax seed meal with 3 T boiling water and let set 15 minutes. Then whisk well. This replaces 1 egg in baked good recipes.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 3/4 C oat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
1/3 C oil
1 T flax seed meal
1/4 C rice milk
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 C choc chips

Preheat to 375. Sift together flour, soda and salt. Set aside. In bowl, whisk flax seed meal and milk. Add sugar and stir, add oil and vanilla and mix 1 min or so until mixture is emulsified. Mix wet ingredients into dry, fold in chips. Drop onto cookie sheet and bake 10 min. Let cool 5 min and then transfer to cookie rack. These are better underdone so take out exactly at 10 min and let harden on counter.

Butterfly, I have only made these recipes with real sugar and some only with real eggs but at least you have something to work with now. All flours and xanthum gum can be bought at health food stores or online. Good Luck!

I know it's an old post, but I just wanted to say thank you for the challah recipe. My dh recently found out he needs to eat gluten free, and we weren't sure what we were going to do about Shabbos. But I found this recipe, and we all like it. It's not the same as flour challah, obviously, but I think it tastes good.

Just a quick question. Have you ever doubled it successfully? I need to make two batches to make enough challah for our family for one Shabbos, and it would be a lot easier to just double it and make it once. But I know some recipes don't double well, and gluten-free oat flour is so expensive that I would hate to waste 6 cups of it.

I'm going to try the choc. chip cookies today. Dh needs something mezonos to take to shul so he can eat at the kiddush afterwards. I don't have flax seed, though, so I'l going to try substituting an egg instead, since I've seen that sub go the other way. Hopefully it will work.

Thanks again for these recipes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics