Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cashing US bonds

e1234

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 2:46 am
I am in Israel so I can't just go into a US bank

How else can I cash US bonds that I have?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 3:02 am
I am not sure about specific types, but I know that my grandmother gave me a US bond a few years ago that will only mature in about 10 years from now. I asked the bank how I can cash it then and they said that it can only be done in person.
Why dont you ask your bank. That would be the best and direct way to find out.
Best of luck to you.

e1234

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 3:12 am
it's way over 10 years
some are from dh bar mitzva
some from wedding presents over 12 years ago

I can't go into my US bank - is there anyway to do it here?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 3:17 am
e1234 wrote:
it's way over 10 years
some are from dh bar mitzva
some from wedding presents over 12 years ago

I can't go into my US bank - is there anyway to do it here?
What I am saying is that you should CALL the banks and ask them. There may be forms that you could fill out and it could work that way.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 7:03 am
I worked at a bank 25 years ago, tourist branch of Bank Mizrahi and we cashed bonds but the fee was atrocious. Ask the foreign currency division of your bank if they will do it and what the charge is.

Monsey Mama

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 7:09 am
There are specific forms for each type of series. There are no fees if cashed in directly to the Treasury.

e1234

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 7:47 am
can I cash with the US treasury if I'm not in the US?

StrongIma

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 9:08 am
you may have to go to the US embassy

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 6:05 pm
No, US embassy will not redeem its own government bonds for you. They are not licensed to do that.
OP do you have a US bank account? If so you can download a direct deposit request on treasurydirect.gov for redemption payment. You'll need the bank acct as well as bank routing #, which
are usually 9-10 digit (usually found on the left bottom of your chequebook).

e1234

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 2:09 am
Quote:
No, US embassy will not redeem its own government bonds for you. They are not licensed to do that.
OP do you have a US bank account? If so you can download a direct deposit request on treasurydirect.gov for redemption payment. You'll need the bank acct as well as bank routing #, which
are usually 9-10 digit (usually found on the left bottom of your chequebook).

this sounds good but where did you get this info from

where would I sent the bonds? these are old physical bonds that I have here
I do have a US bank account

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 10:38 am
Look online. I think you can do that by mail.

Monsey Mama

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 11:14 am
Last time you started a thread on this you were given good advice. Chocalate Moose offered to cash them in for you. First, are these the same bonds you were talking about in your last thread? Did Chocalate Moose take Care of those for you? I am not sure I would let someone from the internet cash in my bonds, either.

The forms are simple to obtain; and simple to fill out. They can be tedious as each bond must be listed. Banks have $1000.00 limit in person anyway. They are on the Treasury website. I had asked what type of bonds they are. There are different forms for different series. I had my untrained secretaries do this for clients. Again, it is very easy. Just get the forms off the site, fill it out and mail it in. Hozloucha.

LisaS

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 5:20 am
I hope noone minds that I am waking up an old thread - but maybe someone has more information on this?

I took my bonds last week to the consulate and had them all notarized. So now all I need to do is cash them, but where?

The problem with sending them to the Treasury is that I wrote my Israeli address on them, and I am worried something will happen to the check on the way here. I'd rather take them somewhere in person to cash them. Or if I can give them to my in-laws to cash at a bank in the US.

Hasn't anyone on imamother cashed US bonds who can give advice?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 7:57 am
LisaS wrote:
I took my bonds last week to the consulate and had them all notarized.

There's no need to get the bond notorised--what was the purpose of it? Did you change your name or need something to prove you are the rightful owner?

LisaS wrote:
The problem with sending them to the Treasury is that I wrote my Israeli address on them, and I am worried something will happen to the check on the way here. I'd rather take them somewhere in person to cash them. Or if I can give them to my in-laws to cash at a bank in the US.

That's why you use registered mail. Follow the instruction/fill the form--there should be a way to instruct the money to be transferred to your bank account rather than receive as a check sent back to Israel.
I don't know how your in-laws can cash it for you, if the bond lists you as the owner, unless it is a bearer bond (which I doubt) or you fill out affidavit or some sort of form authorising them to cash it on your behalf.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 8:14 am
What if I dont have an american bank account but an american bond? Does that matter?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 2:27 pm
In which case (if you cannot designate a US bank account on the form), the Treasury will simply send you back a US$ cheque. Do you have a way of cashing $ cheque?

Theoretically you can endorse to transfer the cheque to another person, but because of fraud concerns I think the standard bank procedure these days is both parties need to be present to endorse.

e1234

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 3:00 pm
I still did not do this

I have to find the bonds and what type they are
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics