Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Taped down fridge switch getting unstuck on Shabbos
Previous  1  2

shanie5

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 12:36 am
EvenI wrote:
RachelEve14 wrote:
We have a sharp, they will come and put a little plastic part on that you can push down the button and slide the plastic over.

Ours broke after a couple of years, so I put two pieces of the sticky velcro on either side of the button, and a long strip of the soft velcro over. I tried it first on a weekday, and bli ayan hara no issues yet.

Well, that would be better than what we're doing now and hence solve the problem as I presented it in the OP, but I think I hope they aren't going to just do that, because it's supposed to have something that lets you select a 40 hour or an 80 hour pre-programmed on/off cycle for the motor, which it seems clear to me is not the same thing as something that pushes the door button in. If they do what you say, it would seem mean that this fridge doesn't actually have the feature they claim it has.

Which Sharp do you have?

I do the velcro too. I also put an extra piece of velcro inside the fridge to hold the longer piece during the week-so I dont misplace it.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 12:54 am
EvenI wrote:
RachelEve14 wrote:
We have a sharp, they will come and put a little plastic part on that you can push down the button and slide the plastic over.

Ours broke after a couple of years, so I put two pieces of the sticky velcro on either side of the button, and a long strip of the soft velcro over. I tried it first on a weekday, and bli ayan hara no issues yet.

Well, that would be better than what we're doing now and hence solve the problem as I presented it in the OP, but I think I hope they aren't going to just do that, because it's supposed to have something that lets you select a 40 hour or an 80 hour pre-programmed on/off cycle for the motor, which it seems clear to me is not the same thing as something that pushes the door button in. If they do what you say, it would seem mean that this fridge doesn't actually have the feature they claim it has.

Which Sharp do you have?

Mine is a few years old, before there were really "mehadrin" fridges. When the tech came to install the fridge he saw we were dati and offered to put the plastic piece on. The fridge doesn't have any type of cycle or motor select.

tizunabi

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 3:40 am
EvenI wrote:

Which Sharp do you have?

With our sharp we can choose 40 or 80 hours. But again, we have a digital interface.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 10:38 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
take the bulb out. thats what we did as soon as we bought our fridge. then there is no problems ever Smile

Leaving a gaping socket is a serious electric shock hazard. Instead, simply untwist the bulb until the light goes out, untwist another smidge to ensure it will stay unlit, but leave it in place. No bare socket to fry you, no fridge-less Shabbos to try you.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 10:56 am
The fridgeez is just velcro.
Stick velcro on both sides of the switch (the hook end, let's say).
Cut a piece of the other kind of velcro (loop) to stick over the switch and attach to both velcro strips on erev Shabbos.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 25 2012, 6:22 pm
zaq wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
take the bulb out. thats what we did as soon as we bought our fridge. then there is no problems ever Smile

Leaving a gaping socket is a serious electric shock hazard. Instead, simply untwist the bulb until the light goes out, untwist another smidge to ensure it will stay unlit, but leave it in place. No bare socket to fry you, no fridge-less Shabbos to try you.

Some fridges have several bulbs. Mine has at least 5. it's a lot of work to do every week.

EvenI

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 3:00 am
tizunabi wrote:
EvenI wrote:

Which Sharp do you have?

With our sharp we can choose 40 or 80 hours. But again, we have a digital interface.

Is your digital interface by any chance in an obscure place that you could miss?

tizunabi

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 3:52 am
unfortunately not, it even has a child lock so that DS can't mess with the settings.

EvenI

Post Tue, Jun 26 2012, 4:50 am
Ooooookaayyyyyy I am a little shocked. The fridge technician was just here. And yes, apparently the fridge really does have the 40/80 hour Shabbos mode feature, but YOU WOULD NEVER IN YOUR WILDEST DREAMS guess how to switch it on. I think I understand why they didn't try to explain it on the phone.

I will try to explain it as clearly as possible. Not that you need to know, but for whoever is curious. And whoever might happen to buy this fridge, which is a great fridge in all other ways.

There are two temperature dials, one for the fridge (left dial) and one for the freezer (right dial). You turn both of them as far as they go to the right (clockwise). Then, if you want to switch Shabbos mode on for 40 hours, you take the left dial and you turn it as far as it goes to the left and then as far as it goes to the right several times, about 4 times. After something like the 4th time, the fridge light goes out and stays out when you return the dial to furthest right position. Shabbos mode is now enabled. If you want 80 hours, you do that to the right dial instead. When you want to disable Shabbos mode, you do the same wild hand twisting exercise again, and then return your two dials to whichever positions you actually want them to be in.

This may sound like a joke, but apparently that is how it works.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics