Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
King or Queen Mattress

amother

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 4:27 pm
We are reorganizing some things in our house... and realized that we have alot more room in the bedroom now.

We decided that maybe it is time to get rid of 2 twins and get a bigger bed for me. Esp since I co-sleep with the baby alot and have been sleeping (not as well) in half the space on my twin.

So we measured things out, and found out sizes... and basically we can fit a king, twin , nightstand and dresser in the room but it will be pretty cramped. (there will be about 18 inches between the beds- right now we have 20).

Or we could fit a queen, twin, night stand, dresser and a second dresser and have a little more space- not as cramped looking room.

Aside from the cost factor, I think a queen should be fine. But dh thinks that a king would be better- esp when both of us and the baby would be on one bed. he feels that foot of space that the queen doesnt have will make a huge diff.

Anyways I wanted opnions on what people think/feel. Is a queen sufficient for an avg sized couple and occasionally an infant? does it get squishy?

Thanks!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 4:36 pm
do you plan on cosleeping when sharing a bed with dh? or do you mean you just want to be able to lie in bed together with the baby sometimes? for the latter, a full size (double) is fine for the average couple, I think. if you plan on having a family bed, I'd go at least queen size.

have you ever slept on a king sized bed? if you can, try one out for a night before buying. yes, you'd probably have to go to a hotel. I've slept in one once, and it was too big for comfort for me. I don't know why, but it bothered me. I'm comfortable in queen or double size.

honestly, I'd go with more space in the room than on the bed.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 4:52 pm
Our beds are 36'' each. Big single. Small single is 28''. Sometimes you have them at hotels. It's totally doable though annoying with a baby. A regular couple bed is 56'', the bigger is 64", biggest being 72" (very rare, hard to find a mattress, or a room!).

So while others may tell you you "need" a huge bed, it's also a pleasure to have a big room. Hard to say.

I say this as someone kah tall, married to someone else tall, and I'm not a skinny minny.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 5:04 pm
I'm in Israel, where a "big" bed is nowhere near the width of a Queen...but an extra foot of bed sounds like a lot to me, since that's pretty much all the space a baby takes up. And 18 inches between beds also sounds like a lot to me. Especially since when both beds are being used, you can slide on over a lot and feel that there's even more space.

If most of your bedroom time consists of using the beds, I'd go with the larger bed.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 5:33 pm
I would go with the queen and have more walking space. That foot of space will make your room look better. A "cramped" bedroom is not a very pleasant one to walk into (if you have a choice, of course).

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 5:40 pm
we have hardly any space in our bedroom and it doesn't bother me. There is enough space to walk around comfortably, open the cupboards.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 5:52 pm
OP here

So I dont officially cosleep but after I feed the baby at night while in bed and we both end up falling asleep in my bed. and at times that im not in nidda (and our twins are together) there are 3 of us on the (king size) bed. there is room, but dh would rather have more room.

basically if we get a king about 3/4 of the room will be bed. With a queen it would be more like 2/3 of the room. we dont tend to hang out in the room much... but def are in there more then just to sleep.

Im still not so sure...

Also I heard that some bigger beds get a split or a big sag in the middle. are kings worse llike that then queens?

and a king is 72" or 76" (depends if california or reg) and a queen is 60". A full/double is not really a question. that would be fine for just me and the baby (then I wont feel squished) but not as good for dh and me. never mind the baby.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 8:15 pm
We have a king sized bed and love it.

The one frustration I didn't think of ahead of time is blankets, sheets, and comforters are more expensive than the ones for a queen. We pretty much have 2 sets of linens, one to wash and one to use.

There is no getting around how nice the extra space is though. The bed frame is built with extra supports to prevent sagging.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics