Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Dark brown chulent- whats the trick?
Previous  1  2

bgirl33

Post Fri, Jul 13 2012, 1:05 pm
My brown chulent comes from a trifecta of: soy sauce, bbq sauce and honey. I make sure to round out the flavor with some paprika (also contributes to the color, I'm sure) and a hit of cayenne pepper.

Aribenj

Post Fri, Jul 13 2012, 5:17 pm
Depends what beans you're using. I like using black beans or dark red and it usually comes out nice and dark. Otherwise, Chili powder!

WastingTime

Post Sat, Jul 14 2012, 4:22 pm
it took me a few yrs to figure it out myself
each to his own chulent but I realized the color has nothign to do with the ingredients (ok almost nothing!)
the trick is 1. layering ingredients 2. a towel on top fri night.

I put the barley/onions/beans and then meat then all the seasonigns ( andyou need lots!!). then I put the potatoes on top to cover. I dont mix it at all. then I add water until its just touching the potatoes, definately not covering them!!!! and cook it on low flame. when waters runnig out keep adding and cook for al ong time, like 5-6 hours during which you'll need to add water once or twice to avoid burning (I do it in a regular pot, so I cant tell you how it would be in a crock pot. it didnt come out good for me in a crockpot.)
then before shabbos I fill it with water up to the potatoes, heat up and put on the hotplate with a towel covering it. usually shabbos morning I add some boiling water (ask your husband/LOR if you hold by donig this) becuase my husban likes it with some liquid in it.
my mother does hers in a crockpot and eventhough theres no towel it is somewhat brown. shes does the same thing though of putting the potatoes on top and not covering them with water.
dont forget to daven lkavod shabbos!

shev

Post Sat, Jul 14 2012, 5:37 pm
paprika

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:54 am
Dark ale like Guiness!

Kal kugel!! (technically caramelised sugar, most used for yerushalmi kugel)

brown onion till it's caramelised.

mimivan

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 5:01 am
coffee powder! It also tenderizes the meat and gives a rich, savory flavor.
I got this idea from Rozanne Gold who was the personal chef for Mayor Koch. She wrote this book 1,2,3 or something like that...recipes using only 3 ingredients.

her pot roast is coffee, onion and salt...that is it. She literally cooks it in coffee. As I said, it makes a nice gravy and tenderizes the meat

smss

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 5:02 am
mimivan wrote:
I got this idea from Rozanne Gold who was the personal chef for Mayor Koch. She wrote this book 1,2,3 or something like that...recipes using only 3 ingredients.

her pot roast is coffee, onion and salt...that is it. She literally cooks it in coffee. As I said, it makes a nice gravy and tenderizes the meat

how much do you put in?

ray family

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 5:05 am
I don't know exactly which one of these thing contribute to the color (maybe all)
I saute the onions
lots of paprika
sometimes a splash of soy sauce

mizle10

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:14 am
Definitely paprika.
Oil makes it "stickier".

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:37 am
no one has mentioned this one or maybe you can't get it, it really adds "SILAN" or date syrup!!

my brother once bought cholent from a store and I asked him how his looks smells and tastes soo good this is what he told me to put in

salt black pepper, red paprika, tomatoe paster silan (date syrup) and soup mix really delicious... plus I brown onions as well but those ingrediants do much more!!

mimivan

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 10:09 am
smss wrote:
mimivan wrote:

how much do you put in?

depends on how rich and strong you want it...for a big cholent 1 tbps of instant coffee powder is enough. I add one and a half

when it comes to pot roast, I just cook it in coffee!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 4:15 pm
mimivan wrote:
smss wrote:
mimivan wrote:

how much do you put in?

depends on how rich and strong you want it...for a big cholent 1 tbps of instant coffee powder is enough. I add one and a half

when it comes to pot roast, I just cook it in coffee!

Does it make a difference if it's decaf or regular?

naomi2

Post Sun, Jul 15 2012, 8:00 pm
I think it's the crockpot. some get hotter than others, or are more airtight... I have the same issue as you and ive decided that I just have the wrong crockpot for brown choulent.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus