Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Tzfat - anywhere non-Meshichist?

skazm

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 10:36 pm
Hi, I've posted about this before but... we're looking to move to Tzfat. We're chabad. Non meshichist. We have a baby. We don't want to raise our kid singing yehi - just want him to be a good Jew. Are there any chabad schools/neighborhoods that are not meshichist in Tzfat?

Thanks

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 10:52 pm
That's a tough one. Where the shluchim live in Kiryat Shoshana but plenty of yellow flags there too. This was a few years ago though. Maybe check with Rabbi Kaplan re neighborhood, with the schools I'm afraid you won't have much luck but maybe that's changing.

sofaraway

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 11:33 pm
I think it's kind of like you are moving to CH but you don't want to send your child to a lubavitcher school.
Tzfas is the CAPITAL of the meshichist, so if they make you uncomfortable, I would simply recommend to live somewhere else... Confused

Sorry...

On a side note, I am not sure what made you decide to go to tzfas, but if you are adamant to staying up north, the chabad community in the Kerayot is absolutely amazing!!! Yes, I think they are meshi too, but not overly and extremely like in tzfas.
I remember the girls from seminary who were from there ALL had outstanding middos and chasidishkeit.

Good luck with your move!!!!

mimivan

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 12:12 am
There are plenty of non-meshichist Chabad (even ardently so) in Tzfat. I don't know if there are non meshichist "neighborhoods" per se, but pm me and I can give you some names of "non"s in Tzfat who may be able to give you some advice.

mummy

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 1:26 am
There are all types in the community in Tsfat, but the schools are meshichist. I think kids follow in their parents ways.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 3:45 am
I lived for many years in Tzfat. I do not belong to chabad, but I can tell you that there is such a heterogeneous mix in Tzfat that you will probably find your place. Lots of chardal and DL people sent their kids to the chabad schools, as well as a spattering of chiloni.
I sent my kids to chabad kindergartens. They were very good. I should warn you though that they would point at a picture of the Rebbe and say, 'meshiach'.
The good points of Tzfat: drier mountain air, amazing views, nice warm people, quaint small town. The bad points: hard to find jobs, the city is poor, you don't get all the services you would in a more affluent area. Also, it's very far from the center, if that matters to you.

grin

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 7:50 am
amother wrote:
I lived for many years in Tzfat. I do not belong to chabad, but I can tell you that there is such a heterogeneous mix in Tzfat that you will probably find your place. Lots of chardal and DL people sent their kids to the chabad schools, as well as a spattering of chiloni.
I sent my kids to chabad kindergartens. They were very good. I should warn you though that they would point at a picture of the Rebbe and say, 'meshiach'.
The good points of Tzfat: drier mountain air, amazing views, nice warm people, quaint small town. The bad points: hard to find jobs, the city is poor, you don't get all the services you would in a more affluent area. Also, it's very far from the center, if that matters to you.
Yes

yes, there are also non-meshichist here (inc. R. Kaplan, the head shaliach) and bh the community on the whole has reached a "live and let live" attitude and lots of ahavas yisroel towards each other.

(but no, not much gashmiyus - which can also be a ma'aleh, if you know what I mean.)

amother

Post Thu, Jul 26 2012, 7:41 am
Even in the gans, in officially not mischist places they do teach the kids to recite yechi after pesukim. if you are in chabad your child will be saying yechi. at an age you can teach them not to is one thing. but when they are little and everyone in class is saying it they will too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions