Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
For those who will break the fast any time of the day/night

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 2:29 am
DO NOT FORGET to make havdalah first.

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 2:34 am
Yes and ask how & when you should make it, because there seem to be a lot of shitot on this!

SS6099

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 6:34 am
You're not supposed to drink wine or grape juice. A few years back when the setup was the same, I was pg and got a heter- I broke it on soda Smile

Isramom8

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 6:38 am
Can you drink coffee before havdala? Anyone hear anything about this? I always heard drinking water is ok, but my neighbor doesn't.

ez-pass

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 6:40 am
My rav said my husband should make havdalah for me before I break my fast but I should drink.

SS6099

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 6:47 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Can you drink coffee before havdala? Anyone hear anything about this? I always heard drinking water is ok, but my neighbor doesn't.

On Yom Kippur, I am always told to drink water only before Havdalah, just like by shabbos. I believe this has the same halachos since it's carried over from shabbos.

freidasima

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 6:54 am
As in my shita women don't make havdollo per se we do the same if we break our fast. Just say "Boruch Hamavdil Bein Kodesh lechol" and drink/eat.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 7:34 am
ez-pass wrote:
My rav said my husband should make havdalah for me before I break my fast but I should drink.

Makes sense, like by a chupah it's also someone else making a brocha and chosson kallah drink and so it is by a bris.

freidasima wrote:
As in my shita women don't make havdollo per se we do the same if we break our fast. Just say "Boruch Hamavdil Bein Kodesh lechol" and drink/eat.

Never heard of this. Do you have a source?

Orchid

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 7:34 am
ds6099 wrote:
You're not supposed to drink wine or grape juice. A few years back when the setup was the same, I was pg and got a heter- I broke it on soda Smile

Even in a nidche?
Meaning, it's already yud av on the fast day itself (Sunday) so the normal prohibitions that we keep until chatzos on yud av don't apply, assuming you're breaking your fast after chatzos on Sunday. For example, we were told we could do laundry on Sunday night after the fast whereas we normally wait until chatzos the next day (which is normally yud, but in this case would be yud aleph) to do laundry.

Orchid

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 7:36 am
Isramom8 wrote:

I've learned that one may not eat or drink anything at all before havdalah, including water except a chassan and kallah during the week of sheva brachos may drink wine Exclamation Otherwise, even for a drink of water, havdalla is needed. I'm seeing lots of other ideas on this thread, so apparently lots of shitos abound.

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 7:40 am
Orchid wrote:
ds6099 wrote:

Even in a nidche?
Meaning, it's already yud av on the fast day itself (Sunday) so the normal prohibitions that we keep until chatzos on yud av don't apply, assuming you're breaking your fast after chatzos on Sunday. For example, we were told we could do laundry on Sunday night after the fast whereas we normally wait until chatzos the next day (which is normally yud, but in this case would be yud aleph) to do laundry.

I was told it's better to make it on the drink of the medina, but if I didn't have I could make on grape juice and I should drink it myself (ie: not give it to a child), but I know some people are told to give it to a child between 6 & 9 if one is available.

As for drinking before havdalah, I was told in any case one can always have water before havdalah. AYLOR.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 7:42 am
Orchid wrote:
For example, we were told we could do laundry on Sunday night after the fast whereas we normally wait until chatzos the next day (which is normally yud, but in this case would be yud aleph) to do laundry.

Are you sure? Do you have a source? As far as I know because it's a nidcha we can do laundry from Monday morning, otherwise only from the afternoon. After all the burning of the Bais Hamikdash was on the 10th as well. We're too weak to fast but we still must not do things we didn't do in the 9 days.

A Gutten Shabbos & an easy fast if Moshiach will ch"v not be here yet by Sunday.

freidasima

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 7:51 am
Shaving, hair cutting and laundry right after the fast when nidche, wine, meat and music only the next day.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 8:01 am
freidasima wrote:
Shaving, hair cutting and laundry right after the fast when nidche, wine, meat and music only the next day.

Only when Tisha b'Av falls on Thursday can we do laundry right after Tisha b'Av.

Isramom8

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 8:05 am
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
freidasima wrote:

Only when Tisha b'Av falls on Thursday can we do laundry right after Tisha b'Av.

I was told like FS writes...or at least something pretty similar. It gets confusing.

Isramom8

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 8:08 am
I feel tremendous appreciation for Klal Yisrael, that we Imamothers, among the Klal, are so involved with the halachic details in our quest to do the will of the Ribono shel Olam.

May we be zoche to be involved in the details of korbanos, etc. very soon, with the arrival of yemos hamashiach.

Good Shabbos.

sarahd

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 8:23 am
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
Orchid wrote:
For example, we were told we could do laundry on Sunday night after the fast whereas we normally wait until chatzos the next day (which is normally yud, but in this case would be yud aleph) to do laundry.

Are you sure? Do you have a source? As far as I know because it's a nidcha we can do laundry from Monday morning, otherwise only from the afternoon. After all the burning of the Bais Hamikdash was on the 10th as well. We're too weak to fast but we still must not do things we didn't do in the 9 days.

A Gutten Shabbos & an easy fast if Moshiach will ch"v not be here yet by Sunday.

The BHMK burned till the middle of the day on 10 Av. By night it wasn't burning anymore. I have also been told that one may wash on Motzai Tisha B'Av.

If the whole 10th of Av was still aveilus, then why would you be permitted to wash, etc., after chatzos on a regular year?

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 8:57 am
R' Dovid Feinstein told DH that I should make havdala myself on coffee. And skip besamim.

SS6099

Post Fri, Jul 27 2012, 9:21 am
seeker wrote:
R' Dovid Feinstein told DH that I should make havdala myself on coffee. And skip besamim.

I think we do besamim on motzei shabbos, or is it only the lecht?
As far as nidcha is concerned, on tisha b'av itself, all halachos apply, even after chatzos! The only thing that changes is motzei tisha b'av, where you could do laundry. I think you need to wait till the next morning to shower and eat meat/wine.
Of course, AYLOR.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, Jul 29 2012, 7:47 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
freidasima wrote:

I was told like FS writes...or at least something pretty similar. It gets confusing.

This is just to let you know that I heard today that there are Rabbonim that hold that laundry MAY be washed already tonight but everything else, including showers, tomorrow morning.

freidasima wrote:

This is said Motzei Shabbos before doing any weekday malacha. Why repeat it again today before eating? Where did you get this heter from?

Isramom8 wrote:
I feel tremendous appreciation for Klal Yisrael, that we Imamothers, among the Klal, are so involved with the halachic details in our quest to do the will of the Ribono shel Olam.

May we be zoche to be involved in the details of korbanos, etc. very soon, with the arrival of yemos hamashiach.

Good Shabbos.

Nice post.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note