Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
G-d willing traveling to Chicago in December...hellllp
1  2  Next

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 9:47 am
Ok... I have family in Chicago, but dafka they are not frum!

One even had a yashka tree in their home! something I really REALLY want to avoid!

I have one Lubavitch Aunt, but she's single and lives in a tiny apartment! One room basically.

My funds are MAJORLY limited! This is my mother's idea of a GRAND vacation, as our vacation times do not always fall on the same days.

Any suggestiongs? My other family members are aging, and do not want the kids to stay by them. My other aunt (not frum with the yasha tree) told me about a hotel, but it's like $50 a night!!! crazy price!

I so cannot deal with the added stress, ahhhhhhh.

BTW, just to add more stress... ex wants visitation while we are in chicago, because it's a closer drive than connecticut for him..
In addition we are flying, so I will not have access to a vehicle!!!

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 9:55 am
Must you go to Chicago? If you are going to visit your family, I can understand, but they don't seem to be that interested anyway.

My idea of vacation would be less stress, not more, but that's just me.

Hotel for $50 a night is not unreasonable. But it's hard to afford anyway. What would you do about food? can you stay at any of the Chabad houses there? There are a number of them.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 10:17 am
Check your private messages! I live in Chicago and would be happy to help you.

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 10:22 am
SaraYehudis wrote:
Must you go to Chicago? If you are going to visit your family, I can understand, but they don't seem to be that interested anyway.

My great uncle just turned 93... He was raised dafka frum, and we have a fun banter so to speak. I want my kids to meet him, as they have not seen him in 3 years... He's a cohen and his knowledge of yiddishkite is vast..u know? It makes him smile to see my kids.

My wonderful Aunt, came into Chabad through me.. And she's been telling her Rabbi, since she decided to become frum that I exsist... So for her it's kind of like I am the frum family member she needs to prove exsists! LOL

ShiraMiri

Post Mon, Nov 20 2006, 11:22 am
Here is a link to the different Chabad Centers in Illinois:

http://www.lubavitchchabad.org.....58709

I personally am not Lubavitch, but I am happy to assist you if I can!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 11:28 am
Sadly, it has been my experience that Chabad Houses are not that interested in tourists or putting up family coming (back) to visit.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 11:33 am
yeah I got a response that they cannot help me... nice no?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 11:47 am
well thats not reeealy what they are they for

de_goldy

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 3:33 pm
Chicago is not known to be a particularly hospitable community (and thats putting it mildly).
Sorry, Mitzvahmom, I wish I could help you. Best of luck!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 3:52 pm
Mitzvahmom wrote:

I always thought Chabad Houses were supposed to be warm, open places that welcome and help everyone! So, much for that notion....

Hope you find a place to stay...

amother

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 5:27 pm
I don't know who you called but there are many different Shluchim there. I know a family of Shluchim in the Chicago area and they OFTEN host people who just looked up Chabad in the phone book and got through to them. No questions asked.

Whoever said Chicago is not a hospitable community - I'm sorry that you feel that way but there are many hospitable people in Chicago.

Mitzvamom maybe call some other people on the list?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 5:28 pm
amother wrote:
Mitzvahmom wrote:

I always thought Chabad Houses were supposed to be warm, open places that welcome and help everyone! So, much for that notion....

Hope you find a place to stay...

Shluchim are human too!!!!

Just like you would be dan l'kaf zchus anybody who can't do a favor for you, do the same for the Shluchim.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 5:44 pm
A. I did not want to turn this into a chabad house thing

I knwo that Schluchim are human..

My problem is this... he knows my Family is not Frum...he knows that my Aunt is still trying to "earn" her stripes as lubavitch. So for him to put it all on her or me was not really helpful

amother

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 5:54 pm
The Shliach you called is someone you know? Maybe try calling a different one. I am sure someone will help you.

DeGoldy - I am really bothered by your comment.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 22 2006, 5:57 pm
Mitzvamom what did he say exactly?

How long do you want to go for?

amother

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 1:23 am
de_goldy wrote:
Chicago is not known to be a particularly hospitable community (and thats putting it mildly).
Sorry, Mitzvahmom, I wish I could help you. Best of luck!

I live in Chicago and I really take offense to that! It's an incredible place to live! OP - The chicago center for Torah and Chesed owns a two flat (duplex) called the hachnasas orchim building or something like that- im not sure if its free or they charge a small price but you should definitely look into it.
Their number is 773) 761-4005

Good luck!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 12:03 am
de_goldy wrote:
!

de-goldy, I live in Chicago and am also bothered by that statement. For the sake of your yom kippor, why don't you please edit it?

I live in a tiny house- 2 bedrooms, unfinished basement, no attic (or else I would invite the OP to stay here). emailed mm last week about the CCTC house. did anything come from that?

mumoo

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 1:59 am
another Chicagoan weighing in on the unhospitable statement:

not true!

I always have room in my house, ( so do all my neighbors) did you make your plans yet?

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 8:11 am
B"H... I cried to the "wealthy" side of my family..

My uncle aranged for me to have a car and a place to stay near my aunt for shabbos. She attends Chabad of the Loop, should be interesting.

Only the first three days will be torment dealing with the non-frum family..but oh well Smile

mumoo

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 5:00 pm
im sure you know your family well and are not exaggerating how difficult is to be around them, but try to think as positively as you can - sometimes expecting better gets you better, good luck
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics