Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Can I be a playgroup teacher if I can't sing?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 9:30 pm
I want to start a playgroup in my house, ages 18 months- 2 years. I love working with children and I know I'll really enjoy it. The only problem is that I can't sing for the life of me. I just can't keep a tune. Is that so bad in a playgroup that the children's Morah can't sing? I'd still want to do circle time and sing with them, but it'll be off key. They are still very young but I'm nervous they will go home singing the songs they learned and singing them wrong, or if a mother comes by circle time and hears me sing off key. Is it not even worth me opening because of it? What's your opinion? Please let me know, I have such good, fun ideas and would love to do them, but this problem is making me have second thoughts. 

sky

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 10:07 pm
You can have someone sing the songs you like on a CD (you can even do music background) or combine songs that you like from existing CDs onto one. Then play that CD for circle time and sing along with that. Its easier to stay on tune when someone else is leading.
It can also help the kids learn the songs as you can play it for background music when they are playing.

spring13

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 10:13 pm
What if you stick with rhymes and chants with fingerplays for circle time? There's plenty you can do that requires rhythm but not an actual tune. Using CDs to help teach actual songs is a good idea - or if you have a friend who plays guitar or keyboard or something, maybe have them come and do special music classes on occasion.

zelda

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 10:16 pm
I would say yes definitely!

I am a preschool morah and I love singing with my kids but some morahs love art and some love stories and some love......all different stuff.

The main thing that makes a preschool or playgroup morah is their warmth and passion and parents and for sure kids won't care if you can carry a tune. (I like the CD idea though)

Laughing Bag!

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 10:57 pm
Yes you can. being a playgroup teacher means you have the patience and love for the kids singing is only a bonus the kids do not care if you sang on tune or not because they will not sing with any tune at all. my mom is a preschool teacher for years, does not carry a tune and still has parents begging to have their kids in that class, every difficult child is placed in her care and her off tune singing is tottally not a subject.
I myself was a preschool teacher I issue to laugh with my partner how I can sing so off tune that even I got annoyed nut the kids could not care less. I sing all the time with my kids they might fox Mr when they get older or they might not at thus point as long as its a sing they love it.
good luck! and enjoy those precious little neshamos they are so innocent and sweet Smile

granolamom

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 11:38 pm
for sure you can be a morah! my youngest two kids had the worlds greatest playgroup morah. really I cannot say enough amazing things about her. and she sang -loudly- all day long. completely off key. even her modeh ani song was all off. but oh did she love the kids and they loved her.

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 1:33 am
I think you need to be comfortable singing but you don't need to be good at it at all. I have seen preschool morahs with atrocious voices and no sense of tune but they just go for it with happiness and enthusiasm, and the songs really add a lot to the experience - nobody cares if they're on key or what. Recorded songs just aren't enough IMHO but your voice does not need to be anything special to sing to kiddies.

I'm no great shakes myself but I see a total difference in the atmosphere when I do more singing with my DD. This is despite having music tapes going almost all the time in our house; there's something about singing together.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 2:11 am
My sister can't sing to save her life and she's an unbelievable playgroup morah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics