Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much time off is reasonable?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 11:25 pm
If not offered, how much time off is reasonable to ask for vacation, if any? Not even talking about being paid, but just getting permission to take off. I work part time, but I'm also asking for my dh who has a 9-5 job.

SomebodyElse

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 9:24 am
What does everyone else at the company do? Does everyone get off yom tov? Chol hamoed? Federal holidays?

If there's no company standard, I would probably try to limit it to what's necessary. Close family simchas, yes. A week in the mountains just because, no. Maybe take a long weekend for a mini-vacation if you feel the need.

In my experience with companies in the US that offer paid vacation, it's usually 2 weeks per year, maybe 3, and more once you've been with the company for many years. (Note that yomim tovim add up to more than that -- I use all my vacation time for yom tov and chol hamoed.) Even if you're not getting paid for the time off, the company has to function without you.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 10:14 am
I work almost full time (32 hours):

Were I work I get 13 days off per year and 2 sick days.
I have to use those for yomim tovim.
I also get off 5 legal holidays that are set in stone.
Every 5 years we get an additional 5 days (which I am now using for chol hamoed vacation)

amother

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 2:49 pm
Thanks for the replies! It's a small business, 1 other employee and occasional temps for busy seasons, so that's why I wasn't sure. But it's helpful to find out what others do.

kb

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 2:55 pm
Is it the type that you can say "my husband would like to go away with me for a bit this summer, but I wasn't sure how you would feel about it? Would it be okay if I take off from Thursday to Tuesday, or is that too much? I can work extra hours before or after if it would make a difference."

Or something like that. I'd say the max you should even THINK about taking is a week, but probably better to ask for less. Employers appreciate staff that takes their job seriously, and considers it a priority... I'd probably say best would be to take off Friday and Monday, and leave right after work on Thursday. That way if you don't go far away, you have Thursday evening, Friday, Shabbos, and most of Sunday. Enough time to 'get away and rejuvenate'.

justmarried

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 10:14 pm
I always thought that a week vacation once a year is the norm. When I worked part time I didn't get paid vacation, but when I worked full time in a different office I got a week paid vacation & got paid for Yom Tov and Chol Hamoed as well.

yfrh

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 10:54 pm
some jobs, your time off is earned based on how much you work and how long you have been there.

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 11:19 pm
When I had a small business in NY, I gave 11 paid floating holidays. I did not care which days anyone used. I also gave two weeks per year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics