Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Suggestions for good books?

noosheen

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 6:14 am
I love to read. I prefer a well written secular novel
and I would love some suggestions. To give you an idea of what I like I have to say that my all time favorite author is Kate Morton who wrote The Forgotten Garden. She wrote a couple more books & I read those already. I also love Elizabeth George who is a british mystery writer.

Any suggestions for me? There's nothing like a good book!
TIA!

eatingbagels

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 6:09 pm
I just signed up for Goodreads.com . You make a free account, then rate the books you read and they suggest books. I don't work for them and am not getting paid to say this. I made a list of "to read" books and already took one out of the library.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 6:15 pm
noosheen wrote:
and I would love some suggestions. To give you an idea of what I like I have to say that my all time favorite author is Kate Morton who wrote The Forgotten Garden. She wrote a couple more books & I read those already. I also love Elizabeth George who is a british mystery writer.

TIA!

What kind of mystery do you like?
There's G.M. Malliet who's also British.
Sharyn McCrumb who most definitely isn't.
Donna Andrews if you like funny.
Mark Arsenault (only 3 books so far).
I really could keep going but I'll stop here.

Are you open to non-fiction? I can give you some good reads there.

Redbird

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 6:18 pm
I don't read often, but when I do its usually by Jodi Picoult. her books are great. My favorite is Handle With Care. She also wrote My Sisters Keeper. (the movie is based on her book.) She likes to write stories with strong message regarding moral issues.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 6:26 pm
Just finished the second of the Throne books (A Song of Fire and Ice is the official title.) LOVED them. I can't wait to read the rest. Very well written, but not clean topics, so be warned.

anon for this

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 2:55 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
noosheen wrote:

TIA!

What kind of mystery do you like?
There's G.M. Malliet who's also British.
Sharyn McCrumb who most definitely isn't.
Donna Andrews if you like funny.
Mark Arsenault (only 3 books so far).
I really could keep going but I'll stop here.

Are you open to non-fiction? I can give you some good reads there.

I've read the earlier Lynley books by Elizabeth George and liked them, though I've not read the later ones. I also liked Sharyn McCrumb's books. If you are interested in mysteries that are less formulaic and read a little more like a novel (which is how I'd describe the Lynley books) you might enjoy Marcia Muller's work. Most of her books are about PI Sharon McCone.

nycgal

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 3:00 pm
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 3:01 pm
If you like british mystery books you may like

Ruth Rendell (detective series about chief inspector wexford, other mystery/crime books, lots of psychological mystery books)
Barbara vine (same person as Ruth Rendell, different style of books, imo much better)
P d james
agatha christie (oldie but goodie)

(elizabeth george is actually american I believe, but her books are set in Britain)

I love john grisham too.

nycgal

Post Mon, Jul 16 2012, 3:28 pm
Also Robin Cook- great author who wrote tons of medical mysteries- some are with the same characters but others are not. If you're starting now you might want to read them in order.

momfrombrooklyn

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 11:25 pm
If you like mysteries, my favorite author right now is Donna Leon- She writes about a police detective in Venice- the stories are really good, and she gives you alot to think about
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room