Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Need authors for the following:
Previous  1  2  3  4

tissues

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 3:15 pm
Where and when do we get to read it???? So exciiiiiiiiited!!!!!

enneamom

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 3:16 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
enneamom wrote:
I had a few ideas for you:

We could have a writing feedback form at the bottom of each article, for readers to give compliments and constructive criticism. I think this could be a big motivating factor, and compensate for the writers' not getting paid--instead, the magazine could help them refine their style and hear what people think of their writing.

Also maybe we could have a disclaimer on every page to the effect of: "copywright, articles may absolutely not be reproduced in any form, physical or digital, (including email) without permission of the writer" and we could include the writer's email/PM option with each article, or an editor's email for anonymous articles.
This way, people will not hold back from submitting articles out of fear their work will be spread all over the net and no longer appealing to paying publications.

What do you think?

(BTW, any way to make a poll for voting on the name? Wink )

comments-- yes. I like.

disclaimer-- fine, but paying publications are not going to pay for pieces that are already available online for free. submitting something is being willing to put your work out there.

We might be able to solve that by making it available to members only, and not allowing any reproduction as stated...

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 3:25 pm
enneamom wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
enneamom wrote:

We could have a writing feedback form at the bottom of each article, for readers to give compliments and constructive criticism. I think this could be a big motivating factor, and compensate for the writers' not getting paid--instead, the magazine could help them refine their style and hear what people think of their writing.

Also maybe we could have a disclaimer on every page to the effect of: "copywright, articles may absolutely not be reproduced in any form, physical or digital, (including email) without permission of the writer" and we could include the writer's email/PM option with each article, or an editor's email for anonymous articles.
This way, people will not hold back from submitting articles out of fear their work will be spread all over the net and no longer appealing to paying publications.

What do you think?

comments-- yes. I like.

disclaimer-- fine, but paying publications are not going to pay for pieces that are already available online for free. submitting something is being willing to put your work out there.

We might be able to solve that by making it available to members only, and not allowing any reproduction as stated...

people who have access to this magazine will not want to reread anything in mishpacha or binah when they pay for it. I would think of this more as an opportunity to find out what readers like and to have a nice sample of your work if you want to write for pay elsewhere.

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 3:28 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
enneamom wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
enneamom wrote:

What do you think?

comments-- yes. I like.

people who have access to this magazine will not want to reread anything in mishpacha or binah when they pay for it. I would think of this more as an opportunity to find out what readers like and to have a nice sample of your work if you want to write for pay elsewhere.

I agree, once you put something out there it's no longer marketable for pay but still good as a way to refine your skill and get some exposure. However there still needs to be a copyright notice to protect our work from being ripped off as someone else's.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 3:34 pm
seeker wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
enneamom wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:
enneamom wrote:

What do you think?

comments-- yes. I like.

I agree, once you put something out there it's no longer marketable for pay but still good as a way to refine your skill and get some exposure. However there still needs to be a copyright notice to protect our work from being ripped off as someone else's.

we can certainly do that, I just wanted to point out that any piece involved will no longer be marketable.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 6:40 pm
True, but people can also use this to share articles that were rejected from the popular frum magazines. Or articles that would never even stand a chance of being accepted.

Like the one I wrote where an evil principal lied to a student for her own gain...unpublishable.

Or the one I've been meaning to write (anyone is free to use this one, lol, or else I'll get to it eventually) about a psychic mom who regularly pockets thousands in lottery tickets and spends her spare time giving people advice based on visions she's had about their future, but no one ever takes her advice...until...she sees a close relative dying and knows she must convince them to avoid that scenario before it's too late...

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 7:48 pm
will the magazine be posted on imamother or its own website? And will author's names be real or screen names?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 7:54 pm
ILOVELIFE wrote:
will the magazine be posted on imamother or its own website? And will author's names be real or screen names?

it will be on its own website. you can use your real name or a pen name.

Zehava

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 8:37 pm
will I be notified if my stuff are published? and the web adress?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 8:48 pm
Zehava wrote:
will I be notified if my stuff are published? and the web adress?

yes, and it's not set up yet.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 9:25 am
I think I have some ideas but I'm nervous about keeping my real life id separate from my imamother sn. I'd love the exposure but don't want people knowing who I am.

Chavakaye

Post Wed, Aug 08 2012, 5:57 pm
Regarding authors not getting paid: I disagree. Yes, it is hard to make money from writing, but it is not impossible. Major magazines pay 1-2 dollars per word. Online magazines pay a few hundred dollars for personal essays. Successful bloggers can make money from ads and affiliates. You can sell your own non-fiction ebook on a topic of expertise.
You need to have "clips", to break into the major markets, that is, samples of your published writing in print or online. Writer's Digest website is a terrific source for professional writing. It includes markets, info on writing query letters, articles on agents, publishing news, contests, and much more. Lots of people like creative writing, and may even be a good writer, but they have no clue about the business side of writing. There is so much information available on the web as well as books to help you.
As far as writing for no pay...this can be beneficial if the publication is a) prestigious, b)has a wide circulation, c)gives you a bio with a link to your business/website/book, or d)if you have not published anything before.
I have been writing since I was in college. It is not my main source of income, but I have definitely been paid, sometimes very well, thank G-d.

Chavakaye

Post Wed, Aug 08 2012, 6:10 pm
There is no reason to restrict people from emailing the article. In fact, you can't really do that. Why would you want to? The idea is to share and help aspiring writers reach a wider audience. The chance that your work is "ripped" off is unlikely. Putting a copyright notice is fine, but it doesn't guarantee anything. Do you think the New Yorker Magazine doesn't allow linking or emailing their fiction which is available online?

The idea of a comment section is great. Most online magazines have this now. It creates a dialogue and allows the author feedback.

It is not necessarily true that you can't sell your piece once it is published online. Many markets will allow it if the circulation is under 5000 (although this usually refers to print.) Each publication has its own submission guidelines. I've resold/reprinted stories and articles by changing the title and slant.

This woman has a great idea. She just needs some guidance. For all you closet writers: don't worry so much about revealing identity. Personally, I do not like reading fiction or nonfiction by "anonymous". Stand up and be proud of your creativity. This isn't something to hide.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club