Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Karmiel and a few questions

Berry

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 1:52 am
Hi ladies,

I was wondering if anyone here is from Karmiel, and what their personal opinion of the area is like. I am a PC tech, but am more than willing to take whatever jobs I can find: What type of work is available there?
Also, just how good are the absorption centers: Any ideas?

September June

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 1:57 am
pm Happy Mom

ReallyRosie

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 2:47 am
We also landed at the Karmiel absorption center about 8 years ago - I think that Karmiel is a great place for olim. Would you be ok with roughing it while you are there? It's nothing objectionable, but some "delicate" mommies were a little appalled by the conditions (the building hosts mostly non-Jews, mostly teenagers), simple cots instead of beds, etc. But the staff are wonderful, and I think given the price, it's fine place to land.

There are jobs in the area, especially related to computers, though no where near as many as the center of the country. How's your Hebrew?

I don't live in Karmiel now, but many of my friends still do, and really enjoy it. It's a good place.

ora_43

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 3:00 am
From what I understand the main market for computer-related jobs is in Haifa. It can be hard for new grads to break into the market because employers prefer Technion grads (according to a friend in Haifa), but if you have experience it may be easier.

There are all kinds of computer jobs, a lot of big companies have branches in Haifa. In Karmiel itself there's probably less.

In general, I haven't heard good things about absorption centers from anyone who's been in one in the past decade or so. From what I've heard, most of the people staying there tend to be from non-English-speaking backgrounds and without a strong Jewish background, which can make it at best socially isolating for frum anglo olim.

Unless you really need to save every shekel in those first few months I suggest renting in a community you can see yourself becoming a part of.

ReallyRosie

Post Fri, Aug 24 2012, 4:34 am
Hi. There are several work markets for the Carmiel area, Haifa is probably the most remote (it can take a couple of hours by bus, an hour or longer by car.) The main markets are: Karmiel, Misgav, Tefen. There are also areas in between, and computer jobs are in high demand. It depends what kind of computer training though...

The absorption center will definitely not be a social scene for you, and most of the Anglos are centered in the dromit and rabin neighborhoods - which aren't very much within walking distance of the absorption center. But it's temporary, and some do live within walking distance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions