Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Shalom zachor foods to prepare in advance and freeze
Previous  1  2

spinkles

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 1:52 am
Amother, I heard that the arbes are like mourners' food (you know how mourners are served round foods to symbolize the cycle of life), and the baby is "mourning" that he forgot all the Torah he learned in the womb, but I don't know if that's the real reason for arbes or not. Anyway they taste good.

Your husband is right about the chulent and kugel, especially now that the weather's getting cold, the men will mostly ignore the mezonos in favor of hot steaming chulent and kugel if available. You don't have to serve chulent, some people do and some don't.

In some communities women go, in others they don't, so just ask around and see what people do where you live.

sarlal

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 10:34 am
I agree with the cholent idea
-choc lollipops are easy to make and can be stored in the freezer without taking up much space (buy molds from michael's, ac moore or a jewish market, make lollies, wrap each lolly in a plastic lolly bag and tie with ribbon for a beautiful presentation)
-babkas
-chocolate balls

a1mom

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 10:38 am
I agree with the chulent and kugel- cake everyone sends and the men don't eat that much of. at my shalom zachor- february baby the kugel got finished to the last drop. also cookies and anything with peanut butter. I also would buy some candy to put out like gummy worms, licorice bits, jelly beans, and sunflower seeds. but don't stress about the baked goods- 3-4 bars or cookies should be more then enough, especially if people send in

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 10:42 am
hmm. in my experience, you serve cake/cookies, chick peas, beer, other forms of alcohol, and soda. you really don't need to go all out.

also in my experience, the shalom zachar is NOT fun for the new mom. if I were to have another boy, I'd have the shalom zachar in another house so I could rest. the men will have fun with whatever food you give them, they don't need fancy snacks to make them sing and dance. they will make a few l'chayims, a few mazal tov speeches, some singing, some dancing, all around happiness and they'll eat whatever's there. impressive spreads are for women's simchas. none of the men will appreciate pretty chocolate lollipops. they'll just eat them. if you want to make cholent, go ahead. but I think it's more complicated than cake and cookies. and you can make large cakes, but have someone slice them before they're put out. pre-sliced cakes get eaten.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 8:34 pm
Thanks, I am pretty sure only men go in our community.
I will probably buy a couple of mezonos things at the market and make a very basic cholent and premake and freeze a kugel that can be heated that day. Maybe seasoned chickpeas and hummus. I told DH is will be in charge of everything else, buying paper goods and plastic utensil and there is NO way I am cleaning up, he has to do that as well.

~amother who asked about what to serve

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Oct 14 2012, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks, I am pretty sure only men go in our community.
I will probably buy a couple of mezonos things at the market and make a very basic cholent and premake and freeze a kugel that can be heated that day. Maybe seasoned chickpeas and hummus. I told DH is will be in charge of everything else, buying paper goods and plastic utensil and there is NO way I am cleaning up, he has to do that as well.

~amother who asked about what to serve

amother, can your dh make the cholent? we had our shalom zachar less than three days after I gave birth. I wasn't about to make a cholent for anyone. otherwise, the menu sounds just right.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen