Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Is the meat in my freezer safe??

amother

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 2:06 pm
I dont know who can advise me!!

My freezer was off for 24 hours which is the max the dept of health says is ok. And we were like at 24 hours exact. When freezer came back on, it was at 26 degrees and normally it is at minus 10. The soups I had stored were liquidy so I didn't keep them but the meat was hard however instead of having the frozen look I felt it looked ever so slightly defrosted but I didnt really inspect. I closed freezer door and it got back to minus 10 again.
Now we dont know if we should cook with the meat or not.
I do not want to expose us to dangerous bacteria but throwing out all the meat and chicken is SO hard to do.
Does it sound like it safe or does it sound like a risk?

ROFL

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 3:13 pm
I lost power for six days Threw out about one thousand dollars from my freezer. Very sad. But safe and that is what is important

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 3:16 pm
you should cook the meat straight away if the power just went on and it will be fine. (might be fine otherwise) you can refreeze once cooked safely.

hadasa

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 3:24 pm
I think that if the meat was still mostly frozen, as you say, then it should be fine.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 3:30 pm
ours was out for 19 & nothing defrosted ... the stuff in my fridge I tried to keep fresh by sticking frozen water bottles & icy blue kooler thingamagingys in varied placed throughout the fridge

personally I would keep it in the freezer since it didn't fully defrost ...

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 3:34 pm
Did it still have ice crystals on it? I read that that is one of the markers that it was still frozen sufficiently.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 4:26 pm
Sounds ok if you cook it all the way through, quite hot enough and long enough. Doesn't sound bad.

precious

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 6:05 pm
I just read a story from an old Binah - I think it said that it's ok as long as it didn't go above 40 degrees.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 6:17 pm
If your freezer was mostly full and you did not open it at all during the power outage, 48 hours is still fine. If it was half full, 24 hours is the time frame and again, stuff in the back should be fine, just be careful with stuff in the front that looks at least half defrosted or more.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Nov 04 2012, 11:25 pm
The actual thing you use to check is whether the parts that defrosted were in the danger zone of 5-70 degrees c. My guess is that if it still felt hard it was fine. When you cook it, cook it thoroughly. Most people have defrosted things on a counter top despite the fact that its not a great idea. If it was frozen enough to be hard, In a closed freezer, I am pretty certain that you are fine. I would fave kept the soups too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking