Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Missing lighting b/c of traveling????

amother

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 6:13 pm
IY"H I will be traveling on chanukah with my dh, and will be on a plane during the entire night, how will we light chanukah menorah, if we are flying then?
do we just skip lighting menorah one night?

I am planning to ask a rav, but I am just astounded that I didnt realize before I booked our tickets, and dont know what to do now!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 11 2012, 6:35 pm
I know someone who flew to Israel one year Chanukah and had the same question. I think they were told something like take battery powered menorah (? wait, is there even such a thing, maybe I'm remembering wrong) and turn it on during the flight.
good luck and enjoy your trip!

Rodent

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 5:44 am
We lit in a room at San Francisco airport once (with permission) but I believe my husband actually mentioned that in retrospect we maybe shouldn't have. Also I don't know where you are travelling but if you cross the date line you may end up lighting a different number to those around you. Ask a rabbi, it can get more complicated than you may think.

shalhevet

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 5:59 am
I don't think lighting has any halachic significance outside of a home. Ask your LOR. Maybe getting a shaliach to light in your home? Can you change the tickets?

grace413

Post Mon, Nov 12 2012, 6:13 am
From aish.com

14. What if a person is travelling through the night?
•If he begins his journey after plag haMincha (1 1/4 hours before sunset), he should light before he leaves.
•If he must leave before this time but will arrive at his destination before dawn, he should light when he arrives.
•If he must leave before this time and will arrive after dawn, he should light while traveling (see next question).

15. Under what conditions may one light when travelling?
One must fulfill several conditions:
•He has a bed to sleep in.
•He is paying for the journey (e.g. train, boat).
•He does not hold the menorah in his hand but puts it down somewhere.
•There is no fire hazard.

If all these conditions are met, he should light with blessings, even if he is able to light only one candle. If these conditions are not met, he is exempt from lighting.

16. What if he fears that he will have to extinguish the candle(s) within half-an-hour?
He should light without saying the blessings
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics