Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Detroit - Where to Rent?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 12 2012, 1:58 pm
Anyone have any advice on Detroit (Oak Park) rentals? I know about Rue Versailles but the apartments are too small. I found another place called the Oaks on Lincoln that has larger apartments/townhouses and looks much nicer than rue versailles. Do any frum people live there? Are there other places to rent? I would like to be centrally located if possible while I get a feel for the neighborhood.

Thanks in advance Smile

amother

Post Wed, Dec 12 2012, 2:09 pm
I'm pretty sure the Oaks on Lincoln is formerly Lincoln Briar. We lived there a number of years ago and we were happy. There used to be lots of frum ppl there, but I'm not sure about now.

Another very, very popular rental place for frum ppl (besides Rue Versailles) are the apartments on the corner Lincoln and Greenfield in Southfield. I think they are owned by the Bais Yehudah school or someone affiliated with them.

Good luck!

shmaichul

Post Wed, Dec 12 2012, 3:55 pm
There are some hidden who live there - I have a friend who does. There aren't so many but I think they're trying to attract nor yidden since they advertised recently in the community links.
Good luck!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 12 2012, 4:26 pm
can you tell me why they arent happy? I definitely want to know of any bad news!

it seems like one of the nicer options as some of the other places seem really run down. Are there any better (nicer) options?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 12 2012, 4:27 pm
shmaichul wrote:
There are some hidden who live there - I have a friend who does. There aren't so many but I think they're trying to attract nor yidden since they advertised recently in the community links.
Good luck!

What is the community links? Is it email or print?

shmaichul

Post Wed, Dec 12 2012, 4:39 pm
Are you in Detroit now? We get it in the mail but you can pick it up in One Stop. You can try googling it they might have it online as well...

amother

Post Wed, Dec 12 2012, 4:45 pm
shmaichul wrote:
Are you in Detroit now? We get it in the mail but you can pick it up in One Stop. You can try googling it they might have it online as well...

Thanks! No, I am moving to Detroit and trying to find a place to live! Can you comment on what your friend does not like about the Oaks?

Thanks!

thatgirl

Post Wed, Dec 12 2012, 5:02 pm
Have you thought about renting a house?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 12 2012, 5:24 pm
Community Links:
http://thecommunitylinks.com/About.html

I didn't notice anyone say they weren't happy at the Oaks. I am the first amonther. I said we lived there about 8 yrs ago and we were happy. I don't know if many frum Jews live there now, but it's definitely in the right area. I know they fixed it up after we moved out and they changed ownership.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 12 2012, 5:26 pm
thanks! ah! I read "there arent so many" as "they arent so happy". sorry, im a little tired LOL!

shmaichul

Post Wed, Dec 12 2012, 6:39 pm
There are houses to rent (Im renting one now but we are looking to buy) but they are generally a lot more expensive then apartments.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 12 2012, 8:55 pm
I lived there for 3 years was happy nice appartement. the only thing was that alot of jews moved out and there are only a few left so most people there are black. if u are looking for alot of jewish neighbors no its not but the place was nice besides that.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 12 2012, 10:40 pm
shmaichul wrote:
There are houses to rent (Im renting one now but we are looking to buy) but they are generally a lot more expensive then apartments.

Thanks for your help! What is a good way to find out what houses are for rent?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 12 2012, 10:51 pm
Rue Versailles is the most popular option. There are a lot of young families there!

The next option would be the Yeshiva Apartments (Lincoln & Greenfield). I think most people living there are from the Kollel.

We started out in Lincoln Briar as well and loved the apartments. They were centrally located and much nicer and bigger. At the time there were a lot more frum people living there though. I can only think of a couple now.
For that reason alone I would say to stick to options 1 or 2.

Rue Versailles is your best bet to be around tons of other frum people.

I know a lot of people who say that buying a house is good and cheap but I've seen many problems with that option. Main reason being that you may not be around people that you can meet. Some younger couples have done this and are so lonely because they're from out of town and are having a hard time meeting others.

Good luck!!

amother

Post Wed, Dec 12 2012, 11:15 pm
amother wrote:
Rue Versailles is the most popular option. There are a lot of young families there!

Rue Versailles is your best bet to be around tons of other frum people.

I know a lot of people who say that buying a house is good and cheap but I've seen many problems with that option. Main reason being that you may not be around people that you can meet. Some younger couples have done this and are so lonely because they're from out of town and are having a hard time meeting others.

Good luck!!

Got it. That is exactly my concern. Rue Versailles is really just a little small I think and they said the apartments only have one bathroom! Are there really no other options? bummer....

bbmom

Post Thu, Dec 13 2012, 7:00 am
Where are you moving from? As far as I know Rue Versailles starts at two bedrooms and although they are small they are bigger and nicer than what you'd get in Brooklyn so everything is relative...

thatgirl

Post Thu, Dec 13 2012, 8:55 pm
House on my block to rent... beautiful house but going for like 1200 a month.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 13 2012, 9:25 pm
I just want to comment on the Rue Versailles thing. We started out there some years back, and were quite happy. We had a large 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, lots of closet/storage space, large living room dining room area. BUT, it is called Versailles Biarritz. Everyone calls it Rue Versailles, but the management is Versailles Biarritz. When looking it up, that is who you want to call. The back apartments are owned by Rue Versailles and are not as nice. I don't know of too many people in the community who rent from them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating