Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Which wrap?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 11:05 am
My baby is already five months old. He was about 16 pounds a month ago. I want a wrap that I can use for at least several more months. Someone got me a moby for a present.

Keep it? Swap it?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 11:22 am
Swap it.

You're not going to be comfortable in it.

If you want benefits of stretchy but with more support, look at this hybrid: http://www.wrapsodybaby.com/shop/stretch.php

spring13

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 12:05 pm
Yup, switch it for a woven or a mei tai that will be useful longer.

bamamama

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 12:13 pm
16lbs is too heavy for a moby. Get a woven wrap.

granolamom

Post Sat, Dec 22 2012, 8:58 pm
agree with those who say swap it for a woven wrap.
I love love loved my didy wraps. wore one of my kids till he was over two in that thing. and he was a big kid (90'th % for height, 75th for weight)

imamiri

Post Sat, Dec 22 2012, 9:55 pm
I used a Wrapsody hybrid like HY posted for a while (on front carries only!!!!) and then switched to a Didymos woven. I bought 2 and a Girasol. Love them all and still use my Didys on my 27lber.

Inspired

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 2:34 am
The moby is definitely almost past its usefulness for you, if you can exchange it do so.
You can use the Wrapsody for back carries. I did it all the time. I loved my wrapsody. I would recommend using that for awhile and then either selling it or something and getting a woven if you plan on wrapping long term. Best way to buy a woven IME is second hand. Its already broken in. You need to practice alot to get it. Lots of great videos on youtube.
Personally I would not want just one carrier. I have slings, wraps, mei tais and podegis and used all of them.
I wrapping seems too complicated for you look into a mei tai (I love my babyhawk).
FTR I am not a soft structured carrier person I know lots of people love them I just always preferred everything else once I started babywearing even though I thought I wanted a becco before I tried stuff out.

royismom

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 2:54 am
Huh interesting my dd is 17 months old weights 22 lbs and I still use my Moby, and quiet comfortably. I guess I got a magical one.

Inspired

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 3:14 am
royismom wrote:
Huh interesting my dd is 17 months old weights 22 lbs and I still use my Moby, and quiet comfortably. I guess I got a magical one.
For how long at a time?
You must have a very strong back if you can front carry for long periods in a stretchy with no discomfort.
I would not want to be limited to front carries with a 17 month old. Back carrying is much more convenient, useful and comfortable IME. WIth a child of that age I could have them in carrier for over an hour at a time (occasionally a few hours) and I would switch from back to front during that time.

Inspired

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 3:15 am
FTR I use regular back carried from 6 months and high back carries from newborn. I LOVE back carries and they were a lifesaver with a newborn and a toddler.

royismom

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 3:21 am
I back, front, and side carry!! That's why I love the Moby! I have an ergo but I use my Moby more. And I don't have a strong back I overextend, I find the Moby back carry to give me more all around support.

Inspired

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 3:23 am
You really shouldn't back carry in a full stretchy wrap.

imamiri

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 3:30 am
Inspired wrote:
You really shouldn't back carry in a full stretchy wrap.

Definitely not! There are videos that will tell you why too. DC tries to reach for something and they fall out because the stretchy wrap stretches and sags and down they go.

royismom

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 3:40 am
Well then I guess I'm lucky enough that my dd doesn't go grabbing for things and that my "strechy" wrap isn't strechy and doesn't sag. Not to mention I check it every so often when I wear it to make sure she is secure and safe. I'm not telling the OP to do it, although it was also made for a back carry, she can make her own decisions, I hope. A question was asked so I answered it. People seemed to put a six month cap on the Moby I was simply saying that my child is way past that age and I still use it happily and comfortably.

Inspired

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 4:11 am
royismom wrote:
Well then I guess I'm lucky enough that my dd doesn't go grabbing for things
Toddlers try new things daily. You never know when she will decide today is the day to try arching backward to look up at the sky.
Quote:
and that my "strechy" wrap isn't strechy and doesn't sag.
A moby is a stretchy wrap and gets more stretched out over time.

Quote:
People seemed to put a six month cap on the Moby I was simply saying that my child is way past that age and I still use it happily and comfortably.

The cap babywearers and instructors generally recommend is around 20 lbs.

Inspired

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 4:20 am
http://community.babycenter.co.....tlink

http://community.babycenter.co....._wrap

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 10:24 am
Okay, I think I need to be a bit clearer, so that I"m sure I"m doing the right thing.

I really want a wrap for IY"H the future. I have a SSC and a sling, but I don't especially like either of them. I borrowed the moby from my sister, who barely used hers, and I loved it! So that's why I was excited when I got this Moby.

I plan on using it MOSTLY for newborns up until they can really sit up or play with toys. But I do want to use it for older babies (which mine is going to be soon) for those kvetchy times when I need to get things done, say on erev Shabbos. I don't plan on back carrying much, if at all. And when they're older, it would only really be for short periods of time, say half an hour or less.

So now, what do you think?

spring13

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 11:13 am
Have you tried it out? Maybe borrow a bigger kid to see how you feel when using it that way? Then you'll know if it's supportive enough for the use you hope to put it to.

Although, if you're trying to get things done erev Shabbos with a bigger kid, a back carry will probably be the best way to do it. Have you tried one in your SSC? You might be surprised to find it more comfortable than using it for a front carry, and then you can reserve the Moby for use with a smaller baby.

Man, everyone's making me want a woven so I can do newborn back carries...

shnitzel

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 12:00 pm
If you want to wrap for longer you need a woven wrap. I think you should check out the baby wearer because wraps get complicated. I personally was really excited to try wrapping but I find it doesn't work well for me. It needs practice and it is a lot of material and it int easy to pop a baby in and out and you need to wrap well or worry about pressure points.

Inspired

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 1:30 pm
Personally I practiced woven wrapping like crazy with one kid from a couple months old and I was not really good at it. I wanted to do high back carries so badly when the baby was little and I just couldn't manage to get it. By a year and half I finally was decent at regular back and front carries.
Between that kid and my next I kept working on it and whenever I got my hands on a newborn of one of my good friends I did high back carries with wraps and pods and taught anyone who wanted to learn wrapping. With my next kid I was wrapping like a pro from day one and it was awesome. Keep trying!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics