Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
When you have a few kids....

amother

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 5:43 pm
I have all 5 kids home this week. I'm finding it really hard to do stuff with them in the house as it always ends up in a mess and a fight. Its hard having kids of different ages also as when we go out its boring for some of them, and I cant just leave some at home. I see threads about mothers doing cool stuff with their toddlers, like baking, water play, rice play etc, but if I did that, what would the other 4 do? Joining in is not an option as it would end up in a fight. And I cant bake with one because I need to supervise the others too.

Not only that, but I feel like I'm in the kitchen all day long. Preparing the meal, serving the meal, eating, clearing...and start again...

So, I guess what I'm asking is, how on EARTH do you wonderful mothers manage this amount of children?! I must not be organized enough to do this. Its really getting me down!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 5:48 pm
Most wonderful mothers end up letting their kids watch videos or play electronic games to zombify them for a few of the 24 endless hours each day during vacation times.

asp40

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 5:51 pm
I dont know the ages of your kids, but you need to let them learn how to fight and how to get along and how to play in the house without it being a constant fight. If you are a referee 100% of the time , they will never learn.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 5:55 pm
Go to a park. Is it too cold?

Have them dress up and practice a play to perform for you...in an hour.

Play board games together.

Buy a few DVDs for this vacation week.

Play shoe store. Line up all the shoes in the house, and let everyone "shop".

Play hair salon.

Record yourselves, or just them, singing.

Have them prepare a choir and perform it for you.

It will be boring for some of the people some of the time, and kids will fight because that's what kids do, but if you're aiming for management of the general group, you're on the right track, and the week will pass.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 6:05 pm
I've baked challah with five kids, six and under (two are my sil's kids). why would it be a fight? challah baking works for nearly all ages. I even let the baby play with flour in the high chair (so she eats it. big deal). make the dough from scratch and knead it by hand, it makes the activity take more time. kids can measure, pour, knead, braid, egg, sprinkle with toppings all by themselves, depending on their ages. my kids make odd shaped challahs and then name the shapes. "mommy, I made a sting ray!" seriously, it's fun. no fights. and my rule is that everyone gets to eat one of the smallest rolls straight out of the oven. I don't measure the dough to braid it, so we inevitably have some dinner-roll sized ones.

same with cookies.

same with making lunch/dinner.

have a time set aside as reading time. everyone sits with a book. younger kids can be read to or look at pictures. everyone can grab their pillows and blankets from their beds and make piles to snuggle into on the floor.

as for going out, I don't bother with many "fun" outings. I'll take the kids grocery shopping, which they enjoy, or to amazing savings, where they can look at things that are fun. and they get to buy one book each. these things really are fun for them. it's quality time with mom, and they each get to choose something for themselves.

at a certain age, kids don't want to do family activities as much. but since you can't leave your kids home alone, I'm guessing they're not quite at that age yet. have them help you around the house. you can clear out closets with them if you make it fun. my kids love finding their old clothing. have them hold up some small outfits in front of themselves and take some silly pictures. then you can print them and make a scrapbook with the kids. let them each make their own page. print out potato-head type accessories to glue on the pictures to make them sillier. make collages from old magazines.

and after you do all this, tell them you need a half hour of mommy time to yourself. they'll survive. if they scream during your alone time, adopt the "call me if there's blood" policy. they'll figure out how to handle each other.

granolamom

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 6:57 pm
when my kids are all home my house is a mess. I am in the kitchen the entire day. they fight. we dont do 'fun trips'.
they help with grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning if they want to. the younger ones usually want to, the older ones stay clear of me so I dont ask them to help. with the baking, turn taking is key. even my toddlers knew their turn was coming so if one kid puts in the flour, the next one pours the oil. everybody gets their own spoons for licking the bowl (raw eggs, I know, its one of my weaknesses) or cookie dough to make their own cookies. its slow, not very helpful, but it passes the time. or one kid can be set up at the sink to 'wash dishes' while another helps bake.
I try to take turns, so I'll spend some time doing preschool stuff (playdough, fingerpainting, etc) and then I'll play board games with the big ones. sometimes the big ones will take turns entertaining the littles so its somewhat peaceful.
I hold sacred my coffee break. from the time my oldest was a toddler, my kids know that I get a 15 min break in the afternoon. unless there is blood or flames, I will ignore everything while I have a cup of tea and read the paper.
once in a while I will let the kids pull out all their blankets and build tents, even my bigger kids enjoy this. or get a fire going in the fireplace and pop some popcorn and haul out tons of books. but the reality is that the kids complain that they are bored and they do fight quite a bit. I try not to let it get to me.

and I do allow some tv time in the late afternoon, but my big ones arent really interested in anything I allow them to watch and my 3 yo hates tv, but at least it gives me a small break from my middle ones for an hour.

oh, I also try to schedule at least one crazy playdate day, where a bunch of friends come over for the kids and I order pizza and pray that the house survives. its chaotic but it keeps them busy.

its not you, its a really hard week. I find it takes at least a week or two to get into a routine, by that time they're back in school. dont let it get you down!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 8:21 pm
Day 1: go to the library. Get out LOTS of books, story tapes, games, etc., maybe a video. At least that was my MO back in the day when I was in your shoes.
As far as cooking this week, think fish sticks, french fries, hot dogs, etc. Not that the kids won't eat healthy, you can doctor up some tube or canned soup, and serve veggies with supper. But cut yourself some slack. I hope your budget allows for some convenience foods.
Hatzlacha! You get through it. I for one have only minimal flashbacks.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 9:06 pm
Having all kids home is not easy! If possible- try to structure your day in your head. Think of ideas and do them throughout the day. Have no big plans or expectations and try to be as chilled as you can. Take a trip to the local discount store and get art stuff. Kids love it. Every time I go into such a store, I look for good cheaP kits. It saves me many sundays. Library and extra electronics time were good suggestions to for long stay at home days.

zigi

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 10:18 pm
mix it up. have time when they free play then guided activity then video or story tape then repeat.

tell the older kids if they don't exactly enjoy the trip that the younger kids want to go on. tell them you help me then I will take you at a later time to a place that you like.

chucke cheese or an arcade place that makes everyone happy.

I do take them food shopping with a stop for a treat they are at the younger stage they also like the park

I realized that I don't have to bake with every one at once. some kids can be watching a dvd etc and one or 2 kids bake with me. they all enjoy the result.

I did the same with pizza for lunch one at a time they rolled out their pizza dough and put on the toppings etc.

if you do arts and crafts have an easier and harder option

yes I still have lego on the floor. the kids helped me with some of the chores, putting grocery delivery away , putting away dishes etc

mommy of boys

Post Mon, Dec 31 2012, 10:41 pm
Have every kid pick one fun thing that they would like to do.
Then even if they dont like someones choice they know that they at least got/will get to do something that they enjoyed/will enjoy.

Try baking again. I find that to be the one activity that everyone enjoys- I read that it doesn't work for you but maybe u should try it again.

Good Luck!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 02 2013, 4:23 pm
OP here. Thanks for all the great suggestions. Your homes sound like alot of fun! I love the baking idea but my kitchen is not set out in such a way that would make it possible to do with all of them. They ended up watching alot of DVDs, going to baking classes and a few shows.

I'm glad they're going back to school tomorrow, I'm exhausted. I have to be super extra organized to be a good mother to 5 kids, which doesn't come easily to me. I find they are always demanding something aswell and I'm running between each kid all day.

Roll on school!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics