Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
How much to pay babysitter?
Previous  1  2

Marion

Post Tue, Dec 19 2006, 1:43 am
I started at $3, then went to $4, and by the time I "retired" (I was definitely out of my teens by then) was at $5. Now I pay 20 shekel an hour to our 14 year old sitter (and cab fare home if I get in after 9pm). It's not much, but not everyone who needs a babysitter has the means for one. I take her 2 afternoons/evenings a week, on days that DH can't pick the baby up from daycare because he has to work. So I'm already paying for daycare, and there's just no money left for a babysitter. I figure she's walking away with over 200 shekel a week...even if she's saving for something she should have some spending money left, no? I just don't have more than that to give her. So if we have a simcha (like tomorrow night) I either have to take the baby, not go, or see if a neighbour can take him. But I think it's a big imposition to ask a neighbour to deal with dinner and bedtime.

(Oops sorry, this kind of turned into a rant didn't it.)

shininglight

Post Tue, Dec 19 2006, 4:05 am
I pay around 14 shekel an hour for Israeli high school girls to come babysit. That's a little more than $3/hr, I think.

Marion, what neighborhood do you live in? I don't think your babysitter should be so expensive, especially if it's "kavua" ...?

Marion

Post Tue, Dec 19 2006, 6:02 am
I understand the going rate is 25 shekel, so I thought I was doing pretty well. I'm in Ma'ale Adumim...when I was in Jerusalem we never paid for a sitter, just took the baby to Grandma or Great-Grandma; now that's just not so practical. (We did it until it started interfering with bed, and it was getting too cold at night to take him on the bus.)

queen

Post Tue, Dec 19 2006, 8:12 am
when kids are up, I have no problem is babysitters being paid.... and being paid what the going rate is. But to be paid $10 an hour when all the sitter has to do is sit (kids already been put to bed) IMO that's a lot.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 19 2006, 9:53 am
I think $10 might be asked for the night, when the babysitter can't do anything else. if it's the daytime and she can take other kids, less is appropriate.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Dec 19 2006, 9:55 am
In CH we pay $7 for a high school girl. My neighbor, a divorcee with grown kids offered to babysit for me but I'd have to pay her more, so I'm leaving that for when I can't find anyone else.

yersp

Post Tue, Dec 19 2006, 12:51 pm
ok, here's my final decision: after reading all of your replies and asking around, I came to the conclusion that being this babysitter is a high school girl of about 15-16, doesnt have to support herself, and anyway told me to pay her as much as I want to, I'll pay her $7 an hour. For 5 hours it's $35 and I do want her to come back again if I need her, so I'll give her the extra $5 as a tip so it equals to an even $40.
When I babysat as a girl, I tried not to be available to these ppl who paid me to a T and not a penny more. Even asking me for change. I want to be fair.
Thanks everyone for all your replies!! I really appreciate it!!

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Dec 19 2006, 2:31 pm
[/quote] Now I pay 20 shekel an hour to our 14 year old sitter (and cab fare home if I get in after 9pm).[quote]

20 shekels an hour? not in y-m? I also live outside y-m and I pay 10 an hr. even in ramat eshkol they only get 15, I think.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics