Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Nightly snack ideas

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 8:54 pm
I like to snack at night but I need healthy ideas I try fruits but not always am I "in the mood" any other ideas?

anonymom

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 8:59 pm
popcorn
peanut butter
nuts
graham crackers
unsweetened apple sauce
pudding
yogurt with granola

what would you be in the mood for if calories were not an issue?

SJcookie

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 9:11 pm
I'm SUCH a night snacker. It's a habit I was trying to stop for years, until I figured out some practical solutions. The key is to prepare these snacks ahead of time because (for me, anyway) - laziness kicks in after you're done with dinner and have washed the dishes, etc. All you want is just an easy reachable snack at that time. So, it helps to have snacks ready in big amounts for the week- either already cut up, already frozen, etc.

1. Frozen yogurt (place your yogurt in the freezer - comes out delicious!) or buy actual frozen yogurt (more expensive and probably more fattening, but still delicious of course).

2. Yogurt with granola, honey, and fruit inside.

3. Granola bars - you can make your own and add nuts, honey, dried fruit, dark chocolate, etc. There're a bunch of great recipes on imamother.

4. Whole grain rice cakes with natural peanut butter, carob spread, or honey. Or the store bought flavored rice cakes (love the caramel ones!)

5. Cut up veggies - carrots, cucumbers, peppers, etc.

6. Cereal - something sweet with high fiber. I like kashi.

7. Halva

8. Nuts & seeds - peanuts, cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds. If you like sweet, you can get the honey roasted ones.

9. Dark chocolate - 60-70% cocoa

10. Low sugar/low fat chocolate pudding or jello

11. Fruit ideas: frozen bananas (slice a banana, stick toothpicks in it, put on a freezer friendly plate), frozen grapes (wash them and put them in a ziploc bag in the freezer), apple sauce, canned fruit (peaches in syrup are my favorite!) or fruit cup, apples with honey, dried fruit.

sky

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 9:35 pm
Organic lolly pops (low calorie)

"milkshake" - in the blender - skim milk, sugar free choc pudding mix, vanilla extract. Blend. Then add ice cubes. Blend until thick.

sugar free jello

fresh popcorn - spray brown paper bag with pam. Add a little popcorn (2 - 3 Tbsp). Sprinkle with salt. Fold shut and pop in the microwave about 2 - 3 minutes until popping gets less frequent. Don't let it burn.

ice coffee

fat free, low calorie ice cream on a stick (for portion control). There are some very yummy cholov yisroel choices.

dimples

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 10:24 pm
corn cakes and salsa
corn cakes and low fat american cheese
carrot sticks and chummus
diet mini muffins
tofutti fudge pops
lowfat popcorn
start fresh biscottis
no added sugar hot cocoa (I like the ko-sure brand)

black sheep

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 11:11 pm
define healthy. my healthy go-to nighttime snack is a glass of red wine and a square of dark chocolate. full of antioxidants, resveratrol, and that emotionally satisfying feeling of eating chocolate and red wine.

oatmealcookies

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 11:18 pm
black sheep wrote:
define healthy. my healthy go-to nighttime snack is a glass of red wine and a square of dark chocolate. full of antioxidants, resveratrol, and that emotionally satisfying feeling of eating chocolate and red wine.

Yum!!

I like a glass of almond milk.
Baby carrots and dressing
veggie sticks
Broccoli and cauliflower can melt cheese
Peanut butter and ww crackers
Tam tam's and cream cheese.

I always try to make a big bowl of cut up veggies always handy and I make a homemade dressing with light Mayo and spices.

rachelbg

Post Mon, Oct 15 2012, 11:36 pm
Yum! This category of food is my absolute favorite! It's such snacky/healthy/slowly addictive yumminess!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 29 2013, 7:34 pm
Our go to late night snack is sliced apples dipped in organic peanut butter. Who would have guessed? DH and I can easily polish off 4 apples and 1/3 jar of peanut butter in one sitting. Fattening but nutritious too!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking