Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Do you leave the chicken skin on or not w. chicken soup?
Previous  1  2  3

mumoo

Post Sun, Dec 17 2006, 1:07 am
like sthill mom I use all the vegetables, not sweet potato, plus bay leaves

I started taking off the skin so I wouldn't have to clean the feathers off-there are still tiny pin feathers on chickens

treife chicken are boiled to remove the feathers, but not kosher ones, obviously, so I never wanted them to fall off in to the soup-

when I roast a chicken, I have to do the flicking or im afraid the feathers will go into the gravy. I rarely roast chicken...

HelloEverybody

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 5:23 pm
ON!

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 6:20 pm
definitely off. but I usually use chicken bones. and skim the fat off friday afternoon.

red sea

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 6:32 pm
Off! And it does taste excellent, I also use the spice & spirit recipe. But I use chicken cutlets so there is nothing at all to skim off and then I save the cutlets for chicken salad.

Mevater

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 7:51 pm
red sea wrote:
Off! And it does taste excellent, I also use the spice & spirit recipe. But I use chicken cutlets so there is nothing at all to skim off and then I save the cutlets for chicken salad.

This is a FIRST. I've never heard of anyone using cutlets for soup. How many do you use for how big a pot? Do you fry them afterwards? Brilliant!

mumoo

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 10:36 pm
my mother makes a pareve 'chicken' soup for the vegetarians and then when my carniverous family comes over she cooks cutlets in it, then cuts them into bite sizes. of course, all of us can eat the kneidlach

Shimmysmom

Post Fri, Dec 22 2006, 1:33 pm
skin on. I used to throw out the boiled chicked b/c we dont like the taste. but now I shred it and put it in the cholent- its the only way ds will ever get protein in his system!

bonzie

Post Fri, Dec 22 2006, 1:53 pm
I get a lot of compliments on my chicken soup I let it cook all day and put in tons of vegies and chicken, I've never had complaints, one week I thought why not make perfect more perfect?? so I left the skin on for flavor, it was soo oily I couldn't touch it, the next morning I skimmed all the fat, like I do e/ week and hoped that it would be better on shabbas but it really wasn't you could see the oil in the soup and taste it on your lips, I tried it a few more weeks to give it a fair shot, but noo I went back to skinless, it tastes delicious anyway so why have that oil?

yoyosma

Post Fri, Dec 22 2006, 2:51 pm
I experimented with a lot of different chicken types in my pot. By that I mean I have tried bones, drumsticks, whole chickens etc.
I find chicken wings work best for flavor. I dont skin them, but I clean them as well as I can. I make it the night before to skim off all excess fat. I am pretty nitpicky about that and it takes a while until I am satisfied!!
My husband says my soup is better than his Mom's and that is the biggest compliment I can get from him!!!

Flowerchild

Post Fri, Dec 22 2006, 3:02 pm
I leave it on, I follow my mil recipes so I do it exectley like she did, my hubby likes it that way, I only add zucchini, carrots, onion, chicken, chicken necks sometimes, celery, sometimes sweet potato whenever hubby is in the mood and cook it, its very yumm.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus