Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
What do YOU think? (Chanuka Xmas style)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Do you think it's great (Chanuka Xmas style)?
I love it!  
 8%  [ 7 ]
Inappropriate  
 61%  [ 49 ]
Mixed Feelings  
 23%  [ 19 ]
No Comment  
 6%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 80

brooklyn

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 7:01 am
Who said they are trying to compete, don't judge, you don't know the people. What do you think of the 40 foot high menorahs that Lubavitch puts up around Brooklyn and the city? Do you find that disgusting as well. Those are not small menorahs or flames.

brooklyn

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 11:45 am
[quote="brooklyn"]

Quote:
The people who live in the house are frum by the way. From what I hear the people made the menorah and dreidles themselves. I see nothing wrong with it.

shalhevet wrote:
Why does being frum prove it is right? Did they consult with anyone ( a rav etc)

This shabbos the rav of our shul actually mentioned the house. He said that he thinks it is beautiful and that the owners did a wonderful job, they should be proud.

brooklyn

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 10:49 am
Check out this week's Jewish Press, page 36.

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 4:45 pm
re J.P. - can we read it online?

re pirsumei nisa and public menorahs:

Quote:
There are lengthy teshuvos from Rav Ovadya Yosef shlita and Rav Binyomin Zilber Shlita and others, based on the Rivash, that the mitzvah of parsumei nisa includes every possible form of public lighting. According to many Rishonim this is the basis of the mitzvah of lighting in a shul. In fact they both hold that you make a brocha if you light in any public area not only a shul. Furthermore the Achronim are mediyek from Rashi in Shabbos that pirsumei nisa of Chanukah is even for non Jews. In addition there is no doubt that when many not yet frum Jews see a menorah they are reminded it is Chanukah and are inspired to light their own at home.

don't know whether this applies to other forms of publicity like the decorating of a house with dreidels etc.

bluesclues

Post Sat, Dec 16 2006, 8:39 pm
does anyone know the address of the chanukah house I would love to drive by with my kids
thanks

Motek

Post Sat, Dec 16 2006, 9:50 pm
brooklyn wrote:
faigie wrote:
where is the house? id love to go look at it!

The one in Brooklyn is on Avenue T and East 63rd Street right off of mill Avenue.

bluesclues

Post Sat, Dec 16 2006, 9:54 pm
thanks

brooklyn

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 7:38 am
Motek wrote:
re J.P. - can we read it online?

re pirsumei nisa and public menorahs:

Quote:
There are lengthy teshuvos from Rav Ovadya Yosef shlita and Rav Binyomin Zilber Shlita and others, based on the Rivash, that the mitzvah of parsumei nisa includes every possible form of public lighting. According to many Rishonim this is the basis of the mitzvah of lighting in a shul. In fact they both hold that you make a brocha if you light in any public area not only a shul. Furthermore the Achronim are mediyek from Rashi in Shabbos that pirsumei nisa of Chanukah is even for non Jews. In addition there is no doubt that when many not yet frum Jews see a menorah they are reminded it is Chanukah and are inspired to light their own at home.

don't know whether this applies to other forms of publicity like the decorating of a house with dreidels etc.

Why would it not be considered persumei nisa? I would say that a car stops in fromt of the house every two minutes to look, take pictures etc. Everyone who stops says that it is beautiful. People stop because they sya they heard of the house and wantes to see it for themselves. The house has been featured in three newspapers this year. It has been featured on Channel 12 news and will be featured on "Today in New York" a morning show on NBC. Persumei nisa is announsing the miracle, this house definately is. (It's not only dreidles, there is a six foot menorah right in the middle. Greefire is so proud of the one she made for the front of her house, why is this one different?)

Motek

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 6:24 pm
Halachically, "pirsumei nisa" refers to a kosher, lit menorah on Chanuka.

All the other things, decorating the house, riding around with menorahs on cars, etc. are ways of advertising the holiday which is a good thing but not in the halachic category of pirsumei nisa.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 6:45 am
well I went to see the house over the weekend and it is beautiful.
My kids loves seeing the dreidles and menorahs and wanted to go in and visit the owners.
we cant wait till next year
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics