Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Keeping the house clean... WITHOUT a cleaning lady!
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 09 2013, 11:44 pm
Oops, must have clicked on the anonymous button as I was trying to hit submit. Mobile phones...

oliveoil

Post Sun, Feb 10 2013, 1:18 am
Simple1 wrote:

Marina, I always wondered if you can get the same sparkly look without the cleaning lady.

Lol. I hope you're joking.

The cleaning lady is not some kind of robot. You know that, right?

chani8

Post Sun, Feb 10 2013, 4:42 am
I am in the same situation. My cleaning lady is on a fancy vacation until after Pesach. Now, is that fair???

I don't think cleaning ladies are robots, more like miracle workers. I am in awe of their abilities.

I cannot even fold a towel the same way every time, let alone put it away without it coming unfolded. Forget folding sheets. Forget folding. I shake and stack those items I don't want wrinkled, and then use baskets and drawers for dumping all other clothes into.

I have no problem keeping the toilet clean because if I want to use it after a child uses it, I almost always have to spray it down before sitting on it myself. After they wash their hands in the sink, I have to wash the sink from their dirty hand prints, if I want to get my hands clean.

I use tons of baby wipes in my home. A quick baby wipe around the bathroom sink, or even on the toilet seat (when I'm too tired to use spray).

If someone spills on the floor? Wipe it with a baby wipe. The table is dirty. Baby wipe. Kids just ate Bamba? Give them baby wipes. Want a clean house? Give the kids baby wipes and tell them to clean and dust.

We spot clean the floors, with baby wipes. We have to sweep or vacuum daily, but mopping is done once a week, maybe twice but only if a teenager does it.

In fact, I'm thinking that my solution is to offer one of my teens the job of cleaning house. Maybe OP can hire a teen?

I certainly think the babysitter could put kids' laundry away, but since I can't seem to ask my own babysitter to do this, that makes it lame advice.

SingALong

Post Sun, Feb 10 2013, 2:22 pm
I work part-time, 4 kids, and I was without a cleaning lady for awhile. I absolutely couldn't manage. My dd age 8 helped me tons with the 2 babies in the evenings so I could clean. After supper she'd play in her room with my toddler so I could clean up supper and mop. But that's just the kitchen. Toys in the playroom got cleaned on Sunday. BH for dishwashers, otherwise I would just have used plastic. As for laundry I'd do it on the floor of my room with baby in infant seat while dd did homework next to me and asked any questions. Bathrooms were a disaster. I tried wiping it down after bathing kids but it wasn't thorough. I cooked crockpot suppers, ordered pizza, or put frozen chicken nuggets into the oven. I kept telling myself that I'm doing the best I can, and that's it.

gama

Post Tue, Feb 12 2013, 8:23 pm
You can do it! You just dont have to do it all.
I have worked full time since my oldest was 5. And I never had cleaning help (ok, I actually had someone for a day and then could not see spending what little money we had to pay someone for something we could all pitch in and do). And even though I am divorced 10+ years, and at that point my oldest was 16, I still managed without help.
What I found worked for me was a combination of things:
1. you dont have to be superwoman. Figure out what the priorities are and focus on them.
2. all members of the household can share in the responsibilities. For example, kids from around age 5 and up are capable of folding and putting away their laundry. Just dont fret if the corners arent the neatest.
3. Shabbos jobs - every Friday divide up the chores (floors; bathrooms; dusting, etc). Kids can do most anything. As long as they dont feel dumped on and you try to match kids up with their preferred jobs, the complaints wont be too bad. And just remind them....we all make the mess so we all have to help in cleaning up. To make your kids feel better, maybe "request" their assistance (e.g. can you do me a favor....) even if the option of a "no" is not really there.
4. Since you B"H have a husband, definitely encourage him to assist you.
5. Quick dinners - my kids thrived on macaroni and cheese, crock pot meals, and even tuna sandwiches. Aim for healthy but quick dinners. And sometimes when time is limited, the not so healthy meals (e.g. macaroni and cheese).
6. Make sure to always get enough sleep. You will function better that way.
Good luck!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics