Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What do you do what other kids bother your child?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 10:40 pm
Just wondering what others would do in this situation.
I went into a clothing store with my 3 year old. There were two kids around ages 4 and 6 running around on their own. They saw me come in and said "look at that crazy baby" and then followed me around with nasty comments. Every time my daughter tried something on they said "she looks so stupid" etc.

I ignored them like they weren't' there. The mother never showed up. Obviously the kids had issues, and I hesitate to start up with children I don't know. My neighbors I would immediately tell them off, but other children you have no idea what the story is with them.

My daughter never said anything about it but I was wondering afterwards if maybe as her mother it's my job to 'protect her'?

shlomitsmum

Post Thu, Mar 14 2013, 10:46 pm
amother wrote:
I went into a clothing store with my 3 year old. There were two kids around ages 4 and 6 running around on their own. They saw me come in and said "look at that crazy baby" and then followed me around with nasty comments. Every time my daughter tried something on they said "she looks so stupid" etc.

I ignored them like they weren't' there. The mother never showed up. Obviously the kids had issues, and I hesitate to start up with children I don't know. My neighbors I would immediately tell them off, but other children you have no idea what the story is with them.

My daughter never said anything about it but I was wondering afterwards if maybe as her mother it's my job to 'protect her'?

So sorry this happened . I would have said where is your mother and if necessary alert the owner . Say you cant focus with this children saying this things to your child , maybe say you will return at some other time. Rude brats !

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Mar 15 2013, 10:07 am
I would discipline them. Sorry, but if the parents aren't around, somebody's got to do it.

If that didn't work, I would complain to an employee in the store and see if they could do something about it.

My child. My responsibility to protect her.

Just what I would do, though. I completely understand why you wouldn't feel comfortable disciplining other poeple's children. But especially at that age, without a parent...I'd treat them as I would my own children who were being mean to anyone.

Barbara

Post Fri, Mar 15 2013, 10:35 am
amother wrote:

I wouldn't engage them, but I would tell my child to ignore the children who are jealous of how pretty and smart she is.

Then I would find an employee and tell him/her that the children are running wild and harassing my child, and that the store needs to do something or you will be unable to shop there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics