Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
New job + September due date

amother

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 11:23 am
I just got a new job for next school year. The thing is, I'm due in the beginning of September. Needless to say, I didn't mention any of this while interviewing, but I'm going to have to bring it up at some point. I can't imagine anyone is going to be too pleased with this. Out of 52 weeks in the year, I am due at literally the worst possible time for my situation- even 2-3 weeks later would have been helpful- and this is going to be a really difficult conversation to have. Soooo- any advice for how to go about it?

busydev

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 11:28 am
If you work in a Jewish setting... its happened before. (and even if not)
As a student I can think of 2 times that we started the year with a sub for the first 4-6 weeks and she tested us on the material we learnt etc and then we had our teacher.

Is this your first? Are you usually early/late? Def tell them sooner then later.

Come to them with a clear plan of how you see it working out. how many weeks are you planning on missing? How available will you be for the substitute to answer questions etc she may have about material, classroom policies etc.

be prepared not to get any maternity benefits from them if you havent started teaching there yet.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 21 2013, 11:39 am
This is not my first, and I'm generally slightly early, never been overdue- most likely, I will teach the first week, meet the kids- and then have to disappear. At least the chagim will make it easier (the first 2 weeks I'm off won't matter much). I know not to expect any benefits in terms of money and I'm not terribly concerned in that department, but I'm going to need time off and a place/time to pump when I come back. I plan to be available/in touch with the sub.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics