Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Graphic design course

wifeandmore

Post Sun, Apr 07 2013, 12:37 pm
Hope this is the right section... In ny, any way I can take graphics design course online ? I am prob eligible for gvt aid. I know there are jewish courses, not colleges, but can't afford to pay so wondering if I can get aid for this and do anothjer way...tia

momofmultiples

Post Sun, Apr 07 2013, 8:46 pm
As a professional designer in this field I will make two recommendations. One is to try out Lynda.com which is a cheap monthly payment to learn any software and has amazing tutorials, and the other place that is fantastic is creativelive.com. If you pay for a local course you will be flushing the money away - that is my assumption only - and I know many people that have paid and have been hugely disappointed. If the place is not adobe accredited don't waste your $$$$

wereafamily

Post Sun, Apr 07 2013, 11:43 pm
If you are looking to learn the program there are many cheap ways to learn it. You can take out books from the library, follow free tutorials online, experiment... But, graphic design is a lot more than learning the programs/tools. There is the phycology behind every shape, color, layout etc. and than there is the marketing aspect and only a professional course or even better a college degree will teach you that.

Everyone comes out of high school learning the program, but there is a lot more than knowing Adobe!

Regarding aids, I wish I can answer you, I have no idea.

Good luck Smile

wifeandmore

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 1:43 am
I shoudve been clear. I know photoshop and all the buttons. Been using for many years. I design flyers for relatives and as a side job when I hv free time. I'm quite good at it, It could be a full time job for me based on requests I get. But I learned on my own so there r some things I don't know. Main thing is I want to take a course to learn the theories behind designing-fonts colors etc

But I can't pay! I just can't. Until I'm at a better paying job. Wondering if there's gvt aid for this - thast really my question.

Thanks so much for ur responses!

sunspot

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 8:37 am
I think a great resource for learning design theory on a budget would be Before and After Magazine (bamagazine.com) Their goal is simply that, explaining the theory behind design in such a simple concise manner. Good Luck!

wifeandmore

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 12:33 pm
Thank u so muich!!!! It looks like wut I was looking for! Would u reccommend that I order from the beginning and read my way up? Or just get the current 24 issues?

sunspot

Post Mon, Apr 08 2013, 6:53 pm
First of all there was a dvd you could buy which contained many years of issues. There is also several books which are from their magazine. all the books are great. I think it is worth subscribing also for access to their forum called The Grid.. also if you have further qs you can join Jewish Women Creatives on linkedin to interact with fellow Jewish women designers!

wifeandmore

Post Thu, Apr 11 2013, 12:12 am
Thanks so muich everyone!! Just wondering if you know of a "texbook" I can buy to help me out with this?
I find the magazines so expensive :/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics