Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
"YOU RUIN THINGS FOR ME"
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

tissues

Post Fri, Apr 12 2013, 6:06 pm
yummymummy wrote:

I don't see a problem with purchasing the more expensive oven if after weighing the pros and cons this woman determines that this oven is the best fit for her kitchen. I do see a problem with purchasing the oven if she's doing it to keep up with the Goldberg's or to show off to Yenty Dibri. I also have a problem if this women tells anyone and everyone who will listen (and some who won't) what a pleasure her new oven is to cook with and insists on giving a guided tour of her kitchen to all who set foot in her house.

Exactly.
Buy what you need, what will make your life easier, help you be a calmer person, mother, wife, etc. Different things fit into this category for everyone.
Don't buy what you don't need, spend extra money just because of the "name" when a cheaper brand is just as good or even better, or talk about your spending in a way that shows how happy you are to spend all that money.

Histapkus b'muat, being satisfied with less, is a virtue for the Jewish lifestyle. Seems to have been forgotten once we reach a certain income bracket.

tzfatisha

Post Sat, Apr 13 2013, 2:17 pm
I would add to the above.. give tzedakah -perhaps u can give yr old kitchen units away to someone who doesn't have any at all...
and be grateful that you are so blessed - both by yr parents and by hashem...
I am always happy for my friends when they have new stuff/able to go on good trips/ or whatever it is...
imo we don't rejoice enough with our friends for their mazal.. we find it easier to commiserate with our friends in their sorrows/ bad mazal... let's be happy for our friends..
we don't know what they went through to get what they have...
'you can't always get what you want.. but if you try real hard you might just get what you need' Smile
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics