Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Want to peruse a degree... Advice

amother

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 10:50 am
For yearns now, I've been saying how I wish I had a proper degree before I got married, but felt with a house full of kids, it's too late.
Recently my husband started to incourage me to return to school, he thinks I will feel better about myself and more accomplished. He's ready for life to get more hectic when I'm no longer a full time stay at home mom, but he thinks if I don't do it now, I'd later on feel like I never got the chance.
A always was the more logical type and good at math, so naturally I imagined entering the world of accounting. But lately I've been thinking how there are so much more options, and I should really think about what is a good career that u can possibly have flexibility of still being a mom.
I also explored myself more in the past few years and did find that I also like the creative side. (Which I never even knew I had). I decorated my house (from scratch, down to where to lay walls, just had an engineer writ up the plans so that the govt accepts it) but can't see myself doing it as a business because I'm not assertive enough.
I though of looking into degrees in finance, statistics, accounting. Anyone work in any of these fields and have any advice? Would love idea of other degrees that people have and why they do or don't like it.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 7:29 pm
if you want to be a cpa, it's a master's degree now

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 22 2013, 11:17 pm
delete

Last edited by amother on Thu, May 07 2015, 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 5:55 pm
OP,

Good for you, and your DH for encouraging you to pursue a degree.

Firstly, what do you want to achieve with the degree? Is it really just for "he thinks I will feel better about myself and more accomplished"? Or is it important you find a career/well-paying job? I think this is important because, frankly speaking, if it's former, fine, just find whatever course that seems fun and maybe not too demanding. But if the latter, try to get into a programme with good job placement support and good reputation.

Accounting is a broad all-rounder for finance related careers. Many stay as CPA, I'm in finance after working in an accounting firm (but before I got enough experience). You can also do business administration or finance at undergrad level.

Accounting--you can join a big firm or independent practice. Similar with finance. Though some areas like corporate finance or investment banking would recruit at MBA level (alternatively you get associate programme with BA with expectation you'll get MBA--expenses paid by the company--but this is a VERY competitive area.) With accounting (or cost/management accounting) background you can work in-house corporates.

Another area is certified financial planner, financial brokers, invesment advisors. There are usually undergrad requirement, as well as need to pass qualifying exams.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics