Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Bird nest in my porch how do I get rid of it???

Yippie

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 10:32 am
birds r making some nests at the side of my porch, under neighbors porch, inside the hole of my awning.. its just so uncomfortable sitting in porch when they just keep flying into ur face... how do I get rid of these nests and make sure they dont come back again???

momX4

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 12:30 pm
Please get rid of it asap. First check for eggs first please. If its empty just knock it down. I am sure that there is a product you can purchase in the hardware store. I used to see something that looks like nails that people pit ontop of their window ac unit.

I had a nest on my porch tree. By the time I discovered it there were eggs there already. I didnt tell my kids since I didnt want them to disturb the nest. My dd had a freind over one day and the eggs had hatched. They heard the chirping and they knocked the nest over with a long twig. All the chicks died. I was very upset and it took me a long time to get over it.

fromthedepths

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 12:47 pm
Is it a kosher bird? Maybe you could do shiluach hakan Wink.

BMe

Post Mon, Apr 29 2013, 1:00 pm
Shiluah Haken is an incredible, very hard to find mitzvah. Take advantage of it! There's a lot of details involved, so ask your LOR.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 7:30 am
If there are eggs you can do shiluach haken.
We almost got to do it but our birds disappeared Sad

greenfire

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 7:54 am
relocate their nest and then close up the hole

the only reason you would send away a mother bird is if you need the eggs for eating ... otherwise it's tzaar baalei chaim

fromthedepths

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 9:06 am
Actually, many people do it as a segula. There are all kinds of stories about it. Rebbetzin Kanievsky used to watch for nests outside her window, and whenever she's see one she'd call a childless couple to do it. They say it worked Smile.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 9:55 am
what seems like a segula to one - feels like torture to another

Quote:
"When a person sends a mother bird away from her nest, she is so distraught that she wishes to drown herself in the ocean [and in fact occasionally does so]. During her flight, she laments the loss of her nest and grieves over her offspring."

Quote:

"the Talmud famously records that Elisha ben Abuyah saw a child fall off the ladder while performing this commandment (at the behest of his parents: so, while performing two mitzvot). This irreconcilable lack of theodicy led him away from Judaism."

we can get eggs at the market - no need for torture

chocolate chips

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 1:37 pm
greenfire wrote:

the only reason you would send away a mother bird is if you need the eggs for eating ... otherwise it's tzaar baalei chaim

No the reason you do shiluach haken is because it is a mitzvah in the torah.
You can put the eggs back after you make a siman that you did the mitzvah and most times the mother will come back.
Apparently it is also a segulah for many things

theoneandonly

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 1:50 pm
greenfire wrote:

She said she wants to get rid of the nests so she'd be sending away the birds anyway so I don't see why it's tzaar baalei chaim. And this is a question for a rav not a random Imamother psak anyway...

bamamama

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 2:18 pm
Greenie I'm with you. It's tzaar balei chaim unless you need the eggs - I.e. You should send the mother bird away before you take her eggs so you should minimize her pain.. I can't get behind the idea that randomly killing another animal's offspring really helps you to have your own. It seems a tad pagan to me.

fromthedepths

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 3:51 pm
Green fire, where is the first quote from?

fromthedepths

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 3:53 pm
bamamama wrote:
Greenie I'm with you. It's tzaar balei chaim unless you need the eggs - I.e. You should send the mother bird away before you take her eggs so you should minimize her pain.. I can't get behind the idea that randomly killing another animal's offspring really helps you to have your own. It seems a tad pagan to me.

Ah, but the Maharal cautions against this interpretation of the mitzvah, that it is to teach compassion. He says that's not what Torah is for. A mitzvah is a mitzvah, whether we understand the reasons behind it or not.

bamamama

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 4:48 pm
fromthedepths wrote:
bamamama wrote:

Ah, but the Maharal cautions against this interpretation of the mitzvah, that it is to teach compassion. He says that's not what Torah is for. A mitzvah is a mitzvah, whether we understand the reasons behind it or not.

Ok. Point conceded. I looked it up and Star-K has an article on the topic. This quote makes me feel somewhat better, but not totally. http://www.star-k.com/kashrus/.....notes
Quote:
Once the mother bird has flown away, one must take the eggs or chicks.27Even if the mother bird is watching, one still fulfills the mitzvah. To perform a halachic acquisition, they should be lifted to a height of three tefachim (about 12 inches).28 Upon completion of the mitzvah, one may put back the eggs or chicks and need not keep them.29

After one takes the eggs or chicks, they may be declared hefker by the one who acquired them and then returned to the nest.30After the mother bird returns, another person may fulfill the mitzvah. In this way, the same nest may be used over and over again.31

Honestly. Even reading the breakdown of the different commentaries and the fact that it's a mitzvah d'oraisa makes me think either it's TOTALLY allegorical or...well, saying it will get me kicked off the site.

BMe

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 5:13 pm
The eggs or birds can be picked up and put right back. The mother bird comes back and the eggs hatch as normal. I've seen this done. If the mother bird is scared to come back, in the daytime the father bird takes turns laying on the nest. He doesn't know what happened the night before and lays on them as normal. Then when the mother bird comes back for her night shift, and sees the father bird was there all day, she goes back to laying as normal.

It's a great segulah for any yeshuah.

bamamama

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 8:47 am
I was so disturbed at the thought of people from all over NY traisping over to OP's house to disrupt the bird family that I consulted my rabbi on what the reason for the mitzvah is. He replied that the Rambam says the purpose is to show compassion for the mother bird. He further said that if one actually plans the act (as the Torah says "If a bird's nest chance to be before you..."), it's not at all what the Torah commands. In fact he went further and said it's a terrible degradation of the Torah's teachings.

fromthedepths

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 9:06 am
Apparently Rav Chaim Kanievsky holds otherwise. But now I'm curious to ask my Rav.

greenfire

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 9:37 am
the quote is in a sefer called “Shiluach hakan” by Rabbi Naftali Weinberger

he continues to say that it's okay for the bird's crying is going straight to Hashem & thereby encroaches on hashem just like rochel imeinu's pleas when she cries over her children

imnsho the bottom line is that the mother bird is devastated - imagine if someone takes your child from you, how bereft and heartbroken you would be

even if the mother bird does come back ... mother birds might abandon their babies after a human has come in contact

SRD

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 9:41 am
I'm with Greenie. I think its a horrible perversion of the Torah to kill a parent's babies to perform a mitzvah - one that has to do with protecting the mother bird when you need the eggs.

If there are eggs, I would wait until they hatched and then remove the nest. It's not like there's a racoon living in your deck, they're just birds.

tsiggelle

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 10:45 am
Who is talking about killing them? It was the dd and friend of one of the posters.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries