Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Bullying on the bus

luckysunshine

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 5:08 pm
My son comes home telling me that children on his bus bother him almost daily: spit on his stuff, hit him, call him names - it's always something. I've tried speaking to those boys' parents, but nothing has changed. Tomorrow I plan on coming onto the bus to speak to these boys myself. I'm at a complete loss and feeling so emotional over this. Have any of you experienced this and can give me pointers as to how best to deal with this? It hurts so much to hear from my son that he cried on the bus today because another child spit onto his project. Thank you.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 5:11 pm
yup, we had that. I didn't speak to the parents. I spoke to the principal. it was taken care of pretty quickly.

ElTam

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 5:12 pm
I agree, start with principal, bus driver, transportation director.

luckysunshine

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 5:14 pm
Thank you for your replies. I will speak to the principal.

marina

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 9:33 pm
start by driving your kid to and from school.

Then, and only then, speak to the principal and transportation people. Your child shouldn't have to wait while the adults get their act together.

Clarissa

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 10:17 pm
marina wrote:
start by driving your kid to and from school.

Then, and only then, speak to the principal and transportation people. Your child shouldn't have to wait while the adults get their act together.
THIS. The kid's stomach is in knots. Drive him back and forth. Make the school deal with the issue.

I have a friend whose daughter was bullied on the bus a few times. The school met with the bullies and did some education about bullying. Then they called the parents of the bullies and said, "If this happens one more time, your child will not be allowed to use our bus service for the rest of the year."

Those kids behaved.

imamiri

Post Tue, May 07 2013, 10:39 pm
luckysunshine wrote:
My son comes home telling me that children on his bus bother him almost daily: spit on his stuff, hit him, call him names - it's always something. I've tried speaking to those boys' parents, but nothing has changed. Tomorrow I plan on coming onto the bus to speak to these boys myself. I'm at a complete loss and feeling so emotional over this. Have any of you experienced this and can give me pointers as to how best to deal with this? It hurts so much to hear from my son that he cried on the bus today because another child spit onto his project. Thank you.

They hit him? Now you've traveled away from bullying. That's assault (or whatever...is it battery when you actually lay your hands on someone? I always forget). Make the school do SOMETHING.

In the meantime take him to and from school yourself and don't make him go through that another day.

luckysunshine

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 8:30 pm
Thank you everyone for your replies.

It happened a couple of times a few months back, and then things were great since then, only to start again a few days back. Today he had a great time on the bus, chatted with his friends and no one bothered him, but I still went onto the bus and gave a talking to to the two boys who he had complained to me about, and warned them that if I hear about them bothering him again, there will be big consequences for them.

imasinger

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 8:55 pm
Please follow up IMMEDIATELY with a letter to the administration. You want to create a paper trail so they will act quickly if it happens again.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 08 2013, 10:06 pm
btdt ~ nothing ever helped ... the older boys think they have the run of the mill ... and by older I mean like each grade older will bully the younger grade who will then bully the even younger grade ...

his glasses would get pulled off - projects stepped on

nobody listened - they should have a monitor on the bus and some buses even did - all they say is 'boys will be boys' - can't stand that saying

the only way I got it to stop was to stop having my son on the bus and then I got tired enough to switch schools

naturalmom5

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 12:45 am
I don't know if Yael will want me to say this. I apologize in advance.
Mods if you got to, you got to ???
Anyway, I went to an inner city PS, my husb went to a suburban PS.

There is only one tried and true method that works magic ... MARTIAL ARTS !!!

If you beat the living #%^^^ out of the biggest bully just once . None of them will bother you again.

We are in our 50s and we still have the inner confidence not to be intimidated by the more subtle adult bullies around us.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 12:57 am
Lol naturalmom. I think its great to give a kid confidence in his physical abilities. Definitely show him that you have his back and are protecting him in addition to that, though.

September June

Post Thu, May 09 2013, 1:00 am
LOL naturalmom, but I agree with you here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children