Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do you let your kids jump on the beds?
Previous  1  2

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 10:57 am
My 3 yo has a mattress on the floor, and I let the kids jump on that. I don't have a trampoline, and sometimes kids need to get out energy. Especially when weather doesn't permit them to go outside. I figure a mattress on the floor is not more dangerous than them beating each other up (not that that ever happens Wink) and not much can break. It's a crib mattress, which I have extra of, and if I needed to ever replace it, it really wouldn't be much of a hardship. People are always giving them away.

freidasima

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 11:29 am
Of course they used to jump. And they would take off the bar that would keep the little one in a regular bed, stretch it across the room between the beds and all the kids in turn would walk tightrope on it.

but they never told me until they were older. Better I shouldn't know.

Now my grandchildren jump on the beds and have so much fun. Too bad I'm too old to join them.
My daughter is big on it. My daughter in law doesn't let. Her child is a little old lady and not allowed to do anything dangerous like drinking a cold glass of water because she could catch cold from the cold water.

Yeah well.

there is a limit to how much one can keep a kid safe. I used to draw the lines as their crossing highways with their eyes closed. After all, there is a limit, no?

busydev

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 12:30 pm
freidasima wrote:

Now my grandchildren jump on the beds and have so much fun. Too bad I'm too old to join them.
My daughter is big on it. My daughter in law doesn't let. Her child is a little old lady and not allowed to do anything dangerous like drinking a cold glass of water because she could catch cold from the cold water.

Yeah well.

there is a limit to how much one can keep a kid safe. I used to draw the lines as their crossing highways with their eyes closed. After all, there is a limit, no?

ROFL LOL LOL LOL
thank you for that.

amother

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 1:04 pm
My DH taught my son to jump on the couch one day when I wasn't home (he doesn't always use the best judgement). It's very difficult to tell him no after that. We just sit on the couch with him and make sure all toys are away from the floor underneath.

granolamom

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 2:25 pm
freidasima wrote:
Of course they used to jump. And they would take off the bar that would keep the little one in a regular bed, stretch it across the room between the beds and all the kids in turn would walk tightrope on it.

but they never told me until they were older. Better I shouldn't know.

Yeah well.

the thing is with limits, is that there is often a huge gray area. the limits parents impose are usually consistent with their personalities, temperaments, and parenting style. which is why yours and mine may differ. its not usually a matter of right and wrong, but what works for you and what works for me.

I hear a bit of 'my daughter is a great mom but I dont understand my dil's strict limits' in your post, maybe its just because my mil didnt always understand the limits I was setting, but its a good thing to appreciate those who may differ from ourselves. they usually have something to offer that we dont. and that's ok, no parent is 100% everything and each child gets some of this but less of that. assuming the parents love their children and are doing their best, its all good.

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, May 10 2013, 4:58 pm
We have a trampoline for jumping. No jumping on beds

greatfulmom

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 9:55 pm
I'm curious, for those of yous who own trampolines, how much does it cost?

amother

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 10:16 pm
no I don't. we have an old mattress from a sleeper couch that we got for free second hand. The couch we threw out but we save the mattress to use as a trampoline. My daughter is 3 and she loves to jump on in it- can't tell you about older then that. My friend got a backyard trampoline for free that someone was giving away. The backyard trampolines can raise your home insurance so beware.

groisamomma

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 10:18 pm
Yes, my kids jump from my bed to dh's and back all the time. It's one of their favorite pasttimes. They also say, "1, 2, 3..." and see who can jump higher on the couch.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 10:30 pm
we have a trundle, so I let the kids jump on the top bed but not the bottom, since it rolls. definitely NO jumping on the couch- its up against the railing of the stairs going down to the basement, so im really not interested in that kind of accident.

checkbefore

Post Mon, May 20 2013, 11:30 pm
Oh we had a BLAST jumping on my mother's bed! We also jumped back and forth between the two beds and BH there were never any injuries. I would let my children jump as long as I was supervising.

shanie5

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 10:39 pm
I used to say no to standing or walking on the back of the couch. So obviously jumping was out too. And then my dd became paralyzed and couldn't walk. B"H it was only temporary, but after that it was no longer "don't walk on the back of the couch" It was "B"H she can walk-or jump-on the back of the couch!"

Guess its all in perspective.

Yakira

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 10:43 pm
Yes. I pick my battles carefully and this is not one worth fighting.
I try to insist that the furniture they are jumping on are by a wall.

BA

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 10:51 pm
wow interesting to hear people's perspectives.
I let me son jump on the bed because I pick my battles and don't have koach to distract him away from it and its a good way for him to get out energy. the only problem is the bed that I'm letting him jump on is mine ... well one day he'll get his own bed to jump on and it will be cheaper mattress...

groisamomma

Post Tue, May 21 2013, 11:01 pm
BA wrote:
wow interesting to hear people's perspectives.
I let me son jump on the bed because I pick my battles and don't have koach to distract him away from it and its a good way for him to get out energy. the only problem is the bed that I'm letting him jump on is mine ... well one day he'll get his own bed to jump on and it will be cheaper mattress...

Don't sweat the mattress, adult mattresses are strong enough to withstand it. The boxsprings I'm not so sure:) but the mattresses are built to last for years and years and years.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children