Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
8 year old bedtime

what time does your 7-9 year old go to sleep?
7:00pm or earlier  
 3%  [ 2 ]
7:30pm  
 29%  [ 17 ]
8:00pm  
 29%  [ 17 ]
8:30pm  
 27%  [ 16 ]
later  
 10%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 58

SingALong

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 11:45 am
Lately my 8 year old has been going to sleep at 10:00 pm every night. no matter how early I start homework, baths, etc, she still goes to sleep so late. she needs to wake up 7:30 am every day to get ready for school. I noticed that it takes her forever to get stuff done. she gets distracted easily, and moves slowwwwwly through tasks. I don't want to rush her, since if its her nature then that's how she does things, but she needs to go to sleep earlier. now with the nice weather it's getting even harder to get her in earlier.
so any ideas how I can get ter to do things earlier, and more efficiently, but she will still have time to play outside with friends and unwind after a long school day? she comes home at 4, ideally I would like her to be in the shower at 7:30, bed by 8. I also have the little ones to bathe and put ot sleep so I can't stand over her the whole time monitoring her progress, I need her to do things independently, and just come to me at the end of homework with what she needs help with.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 12:17 pm
I voted 8:30, but if I see that he's tired (meaning wild) I put him to bed at 8. My ds has a very hard falling asleep, so I give him a melachew otherwise he wouldn't fall asleep till 10 and he has to be up by 7. My kids don't have any play time outside, so that's not an issue for me.

Why can't she be in the shower by 7:30? Is the real problem getting her inside?

Raisin

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 2:04 pm
my 9 year old is in bed by 8:30. usually he reads for a bit before falling asleep.

Aribenj

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 1:34 pm
I think it depends what time the child needs to wake up and then you have to see what works for each kid. DD is in bed by 7 and she can read until 7:30. But she has to wake up at 6:30 and if she goes to sleep any later she has a tough time waking up.

However, I recently put an alarm clock in her room and told her if she can wake up on her own for a few weeks and is in bed on time, I would consider moving her bedtime to 7:30 and lights out at 8:00.

mosma

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 2:27 pm
my son is 8, comes home at 4, and I have 2 little ones ages 1 and 2.
I give supper at around 5, then I bathe my little ones. when they're done, usually around 6, DS goes in to shower. then he does his homework. by 7 the two little ones are in bed, and at 7:30 DS goes in to bed. He can read or play in bed until 8:30, then he needs to go to sleep. he needs to be up by 7.

obagys

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 3:29 pm
I have a son who is 9 and the rule in my house is that you have to be in your room/bed & be quiet by 8pm and lights out at 9pm. In reality, he probably goes into bed/room closer to 8:30 but lights out is still 9pm. He gets home 4:30, homework is done first with a snack, then play outside until dinner, finish up any homework after dinner, more playtime (inside or out), shower, bed. I have 6 kids k'H with the oldest turning 12 in a few weeks and the youngest turning 2 next month, and this is the rule for ALL of them - I don't care how old you are, you're going into your room/bed at 8pm!!!! I wonder how many years I can keep this up Very Happy

Miri1

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 5:08 pm
Quiet activity starts at 7:30,
Quick snack, bathroom and teeth at 8:00, followed by bed,
Lights out and shma at 8:25.
He's easily asleep at 8:30.

Actually, we're trying to move it to an earlier time, gradually.

EmesOrNT

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 5:15 pm
In the winter, they're usually in bed by 7, and they can head a CD until they fall asleep. Now that the days are longer, it's harder to get them into bed that early. I tried explaining that even though the sun goes down later, they still need to wake up at the same time - 8:00. A few days of tired mornings, and they now are in bed before 8.

thinkermother

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 1:06 am
Now with these splendid weathers the bedtime is waaay easier said than done

ray family

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 6:25 am
my son is 7. he comes home at 3:30. has a snack, hw then we go out to the park till 6ish. supper, bath, bedtime. I let him stay up 20 min past the younger ones so he plays while I put them into bed @ 7. then I play w/ him until 7:30 then he goes to bed. he usually falls asleep w/in 10 min of going to bed. sometimes he likes to read before going to sleep but it's not for that long. he wakes up at about 6:30 and is out of the house by 8.

amother

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 6:36 am
Later. I have a 7 year old and I'm happy if she's in bed by 8:30. Realistically, it's usually 9 or 9:30.

My older kids went to bed earlier at that age, because all their siblings were little and in bed early too. IME once you have teens and older kids, the house schedule changes. It's hard to get a child to sleep when all the other family members are still very active around the house, eating, talking on the phone, going in and out. We even have kids' friends over at that hour (it's Israel, and my older kids' friends often stay after nine).

mirisim

Post Wed, May 22 2013, 7:37 am
I said 8 but thats the time my 8 yo is put in bed, he probably doesn't actually fall asleep till 9:30 - 10
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children