Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Need to lose weight quick
Previous  1  2

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 8:11 am
amother wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
Are you comfortable and confident with the medical care you're getting? I don't know much about PCOS but do know that thyroid can play a role. Does your endocrinologist check your thyroid, and not just TSH? This isn't going to be a magic bullet but I would suggest that if you don't really know the ins and outs of PCOS that now is the time to learn.
And hatzlacha. I don't think there's anything reliable that will help you lose big time (though there is a funny book out there called 6 Weeks to OMG) but I do think that if you exercise, and eat well, and have even 10 lbs. come off you will feel great. I lost about 12 pounds two years ago, have 40 to go (should be 50 but all these kids and years later I don't expect to ever see that number again) and feel so much better at this new set point.

PCOS is not necessarily related to thyroid problems, though it is possible that someone with PCOS may have a thyroid problem as well.

If my TSH is 1.62, is there any reason to also check T3 and T4? My RE doesn't believe that there's any reason for it but I know that you've posted about this in the past so I'm just wondering if you would know. Thanks!

That's why I said it can play a role, I've heard it doesn't always.
I think it would be good to check T4 and T3 on occasion, best as in the Free form. Unfortunately many endos will not only just check TSH but will not even consider checking T3 and T4 if the patient's TSH is within normal, which on many lab forms is as high as 5.

chani8

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 8:14 am
Go on the atkins stage one diet, if you really are that determined to lose it fast.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 9:06 am
PinkFridge wrote:
amother wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
Are you comfortable and confident with the medical care you're getting? I don't know much about PCOS but do know that thyroid can play a role. Does your endocrinologist check your thyroid, and not just TSH? This isn't going to be a magic bullet but I would suggest that if you don't really know the ins and outs of PCOS that now is the time to learn.
And hatzlacha. I don't think there's anything reliable that will help you lose big time (though there is a funny book out there called 6 Weeks to OMG) but I do think that if you exercise, and eat well, and have even 10 lbs. come off you will feel great. I lost about 12 pounds two years ago, have 40 to go (should be 50 but all these kids and years later I don't expect to ever see that number again) and feel so much better at this new set point.

PCOS is not necessarily related to thyroid problems, though it is possible that someone with PCOS may have a thyroid problem as well.

If my TSH is 1.62, is there any reason to also check T3 and T4? My RE doesn't believe that there's any reason for it but I know that you've posted about this in the past so I'm just wondering if you would know. Thanks!

I think it would be good to check T4 and T3 on occasion, best as in the Free form. Unfortunately many endos will not only just check TSH but will not even consider checking T3 and T4 if the patient's TSH is within normal, which on many lab forms is as high as 5.

Actually, my RE says normal is under 4.5 and for his patients, under 2.5. But mine was under 2, is there any reason to check T3 and T4?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
amother wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:

Actually, my RE says normal is under 4.5 and for his patients, under 2.5. But mine was under 2, is there any reason to check T3 and T4?

4.5? Banging head Maybe normal for some but not if symptoms persist. Google The TSH Wars.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 21 2013, 1:12 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
amother wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
amother wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:

4.5? Banging head Maybe normal for some but not if symptoms persist. Google The TSH Wars.

But mine was under 2, so is there any reason to check T3 and T4? I have PCOS and ttc, I just want to make sure that I'm not missing another problem. I don't really have any reason to believe that I have a thyroid problem.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 23 2013, 7:33 pm
bump, pinkfridge? I'm the amother above.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 24 2013, 5:56 am
amother wrote:
bump, pinkfridge? I'm the amother above.

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one anywhere but it seems that having a T4 and if possible a T3 done occasionally's not a bad idea. I don't know if now's the time, especially if you don't think thyroid's implicated, but I don't know PCOS.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise