Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you wake up before your kids?
Previous  1  2

SacN

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 2:00 pm
Quote:
I would like to, but if I get up, they would and then it defeats the purpose.

This!
I only have one dd, but if I wake up before her and make ANY noise (running water, spoon on a bowl, tripping on a toy or creaking a door) after 5AM, she's up.
I'm not getting up any earlier than that so I can get up and daven/eat/get dressed (can I even daven that early?) and then sit around and wait for her to wake up on her own.

Also, the second I start getting dressed, super light sleeper DH wakes up, and I feel bad waking him--he goes to sleep really late (usually learning or working), and he needs to catch up with that extra hour in the morning.

I find the situation frustrating--I REALLY miss my morning routine from when I was single of showering, getting dressed, davening and eating a healthy breakfast. I have time now, but I would wake everyone else up, and they need their sleep.
Often, I'm even awake (sometimes much) earlier, sitting in bed waiting for DD to wake up so I can start my day without waking her--usually by then, DH needs to be up soon also, so I don't feel bad if he wake up.

busydev

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 2:12 pm
SacN wrote:
Quote:
I would like to, but if I get up, they would and then it defeats the purpose.

This!
I only have one dd, but if I wake up before her and make ANY noise (running water, spoon on a bowl, tripping on a toy or creaking a door) after 5AM, she's up.
I'm not getting up any earlier than that so I can get up and daven/eat/get dressed (can I even daven that early?) and then sit around and wait for her to wake up on her own.

Also, the second I start getting dressed, super light sleeper DH wakes up, and I feel bad waking him--he goes to sleep really late (usually learning or working), and he needs to catch up with that extra hour in the morning.

I find the situation frustrating--I REALLY miss my morning routine from when I was single of showering, getting dressed, davening and eating a healthy breakfast. I have time now, but I would wake everyone else up, and they need their sleep.
Often, I'm even awake (sometimes much) earlier, sitting in bed waiting for DD to wake up so I can start my day without waking her--usually by then, DH needs to be up soon also, so I don't feel bad if he wake up.

DS is not a super light sleeper, but light enough and our floors are terribly noisy, as our the upstairs neighbors (no fault of theirs... or ours) so I invested in a white noise machine and it makes life SOOOO much easier. I can do things in the house after he is sleeping.

my "me time" is at night when DH is at night seder. I am a night owl not an early bird. currently when DS wakes up (7ish) I make him a bottle and we go to my bed till DH gets up from his alarm clock at 7:25.

SacN

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 9:01 pm
Believe it or not, I have a white noise machine!
Well, kinda--she has a loud fan on in her room.

It works wonderfully in the evenings after bedtime, but for some reason in the morning she is just that light a sleeper (and our apartment is just that small!)

Sigh. I really do with there was a good solution--I'm a morning person, and I crash at night. It would be such a great time to start my day off ahead of the game and get some chores done.

eschaya

Post Thu, Jun 27 2013, 2:35 am
I don't usually get to bed till midnight or so (on the nights I go to bed at all - 2 nights a week I work overnight) and kids get up around 6:30. And I'm up once in middle of the night with the baby. So no, as nice as it sounds, I"m not up and dressed and davened and exercised and freshfaced when they wake up. I haul myself out of bed by 7 am, the time at which I"ve told them is the earliest I'll serve breakfast ( I tried to disincentivise waking up at the crack of dawn) or I'll lie in bed with the baby crawling all over me and poking my eyes and trying to fall off the bed from when he wakes up till the golden 0700 hour. I'm NOT a morning person (in HS I though I was and would go running every morning... it felt great, but it's probably b/c I was able to be in bed by 10:30!)

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 27 2013, 2:53 am
chocolate chips wrote:
Ds usually wakes me up.
I am not a morning person, I have my me time at night after he goes to bed

Me too.

I get up when the alarm goes off to get DD ready for school, but then after she gets on the bus I usually go back to sleep for a few more hours.

Now that she's older, she's become very sweet to me. She'll get up before me and turn off the alarm, get dressed, fix herself breakfast, and then yell out the door "Bye Mama, I love you!" as she runs for the bus. I wake up long enough to yell "I love you too, have a great day!" and I'm back to sleep before I know it.

Kiddo knows how hard I work, and she likes me rested and in a good mood when she gets home. I'm at my peak energy when the bus shows up, ready to fix snack, talk about the day, and discuss plans for dinner. She gets all my attention until bedtime, and after she's asleep I can get my data entry done.

When DH is in town, he gets up early to go daven, then comes home and makes sure DD has a good breakfast and chats with her while she waits for the bus. He gets all of his computer work done while I'm sleeping, so that when I wake up his work is cleared for the day, and I can be cheerful and ready to hang out with him until DD gets home.

Maybe in my next life I'll be a morning person. LOL!

saw50st8

Post Thu, Jun 27 2013, 8:10 am
When I'm working, I get up between 4:30-5. My first kid wakes up around 5-5:15 usually.

I'm on maternity leave now, so I usually sleep until 5:30 or so. Mornings are really busy here!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 27 2013, 9:16 am
This morning, I left my room at 8 AM (!!) because my 8 yo son had gotten dressed at 7:12 (his reporting of the facts Wink) and then proceeded to help my 19 month old get dressed (we changed her diaper later). My 3 yo got dressed herself and my 8 yo helped her with breakfast while he got his own. My 6.5 yo was almost dressed by the time I got out, and my almost 5 yo decided to get dressed too (she's usually a procrastinator since she leaves the house a half hour after my sons) so that by 8:15 as I had lunches in the toaster oven I was able to do both girls' hair (my baby doesn't have enough). I only had to help 1 kid with breakfast.

*BLISS*

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Jun 27 2013, 11:09 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
This morning, I left my room at 8 AM (!!) because my 8 yo son had gotten dressed at 7:12 (his reporting of the facts Wink) and then proceeded to help my 19 month old get dressed (we changed her diaper later). My 3 yo got dressed herself and my 8 yo helped her with breakfast while he got his own. My 6.5 yo was almost dressed by the time I got out, and my almost 5 yo decided to get dressed too (she's usually a procrastinator since she leaves the house a half hour after my sons) so that by 8:15 as I had lunches in the toaster oven I was able to do both girls' hair (my baby doesn't have enough). I only had to help 1 kid with breakfast.

*BLISS*
I longingly await the day that my son is old enough to at least prepare his own breakfast and get dressed....scratch that, too far away, make that get out of his own crib and make his own bottle then come to me!
LOL

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 27 2013, 11:13 am
Mine wake up at anytime between 4 something and five something. I am just falling asleep then so no, I am not getting up earlier than that. I do make sure to have quiet time for davening and breakfast every morning. If your kids wake up after seven and you really want to be up before them push yourself the first few mornings. After that you will get used to it.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jun 27 2013, 11:21 am
saw50st8 wrote:
When I'm working, I get up between 4:30-5. My first kid wakes up around 5-5:15 usually.

I'm on maternity leave now, so I usually sleep until 5:30 or so. Mornings are really busy here!
Wow, that's like, really in the middle of the night! Who can get up at 4:30 or 5 am??? That's like, a quick feeding and back to bed... I'd feel like collapsing by noon if I'm up at 4:30. Unreal.

gold21

Post Thu, Jun 27 2013, 11:38 am
flowerpower wrote:
Mine wake up at anytime between 4 something and five something. I am just falling asleep then so no, I am not getting up earlier than that. I do make sure to have quiet time for davening and breakfast every morning. If your kids wake up after seven and you really want to be up before them push yourself the first few mornings. After that you will get used to it.

I remember your name used to be Sleepless In NY (I remember a lot of random facts about people in general) and now I know why. You are just falling asleep at 4 AM? Wow.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 27 2013, 12:05 pm
gold21 wrote:
flowerpower wrote:

I remember your name used to be Sleepless In NY (I remember a lot of random facts about people in general) and now I know why. You are just falling asleep at 4 AM? Wow.

You are very right! I fall asleep at like 2:30-3...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics