Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Live in Israel? What you'd like as a gift from America
Previous  1  2  3

Fox

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 2:58 pm
sarahd wrote:
amother wrote:
Just fine without American gashmius, thank you. Anything you need you can get right here in E"Y.

Anyone notice how a friendly, helpful, productive thread was going on - with no anonymous posts - when suddenly someone has to come on with a snarky, unhelpful comment and naturally is too cowardly to post as herself?

Thumbs Up

And notice that our anonymous friend missed the entire point of the thread: the OP wasn't suggesting that people in EY don't have everything they need; she was just looking for suggestions for something nice that might not be available in EY for whatever reason or might be heavily taxed as an import.

Gosh, I wonder if Mrs. Amother takes offense at the presence of duty-free stores in airports, too!

Maybe I'd better return that lovely Waterford vase one of my neighbors brought me from Ireland -- after all, we do have vases here in the U.S.! Rolling Eyes

jewels

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 4:21 pm
Fox wrote:
sarahd wrote:
amother wrote:
Just fine without American gashmius, thank you. Anything you need you can get right here in E"Y.

Anyone notice how a friendly, helpful, productive thread was going on - with no anonymous posts - when suddenly someone has to come on with a snarky, unhelpful comment and naturally is too cowardly to post as herself?

Thumbs Up

And notice that our anonymous friend missed the entire point of the thread: the OP wasn't suggesting that people in EY don't have everything they need; she was just looking for suggestions for something nice that might not be available in EY for whatever reason or might be heavily taxed as an import.

Gosh, I wonder if Mrs. Amother takes offense at the presence of duty-free stores in airports, too!

Maybe I'd better return that lovely Waterford vase one of my neighbors brought me from Ireland -- after all, we do have vases here in the U.S.! Rolling Eyes

I'm the Op- As I was posting I figured nothing even remotely negative or controversial can come out of this thread but apparently I was wrong.. Rolling Eyes Thank you Fox, I wasn't suggesting at all that you can't find what you need in E"Y but exactly what you said. That there are things that are definitely more expensive there and there are things that people wouldn't buy themselves. All I was looking for was some input from people who lived there and know what kinds of things are hard to find or cost way too much. Thank you all for your ideas!!

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 2:10 am
Books. But that is sort of my standard answer to any such question. Books.

I've a list that would reach the ceiling.

Isramom8

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 2:23 am
I am shock because every single item listed on this thread is available in my Central Israel city. I'd have to think very hard to come up with something I cannot get here. Maybe Lands End clothes, since they are haevily taxed and I know my size in their items that I frequently reorder.

Marz613

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 2:52 am
if you just want to get her a nice gift, you can get her something monogrammed from pottery barn, like a cosmetics bag or towels.

willow

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 3:17 am
My list is wayyyyyyy to long but basically I love everything. including good foil, interesting food stuff, clothes.......... \oh \I don't have time to post all"

yc

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 2:15 am
freidasima: I have gotten grape nuts here - in the health food store! hope your local store gets it too! btw, they make for a great salad topping and my kids loved it as a nosh Smile

freidasima

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 2:43 am
yc can you tell me which health store? I'm willing to go anywhere in the country for grape nuts for dh and the boys! My mother in law is wonderful, she sends them with everyone who comes but they get eaten up here fast...even married ds makes sure to come around when he knows that grandma sent a package in order to eat supper (yep, cereal!) here...

yc

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 2:49 am
'Chemdat Hateva' in RBS A' (but I can't promise you they have it in stock all the time.)

hila

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 3:04 am
And our super in Efrat and superdeal in talpiot now have the Shoprite version of them - "natural wheat and barley nuggets"

Last edited by hila on Mon, Dec 28 2009, 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total

LisaS

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 3:31 am
Nice hand soap to put in her bathroom from Bath and Body Works.

And I second the books idea.

Shmerling

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 3:49 am
amother wrote:

Ah, if thats the case, then E"Y is just as 'gashmius' as America, right?

(And OP, maybe that was your aunt! Twisted Evil )

mominisrael2

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 3:07 pm
My want list from America has gotten way shorter the longer I live here, but I'm still looking forward to going back for a few weeks in the summer just to be able to go to familiar stores, and with a CAR!!

I just placed an order online for printer ink hoping someone can bring it in the near future -- anyone know if/where it's available here for American printers? And I'm still looking high and low for imitation crab sticks...

Back to OP's question -- one thing that's in super high demand here is magazines in English!! I get tons of subscriptions sent to my parents' house either free or like a dollar an issue, I was shocked to see them here for 50 NIS shock shock shock After I'm done with 'em they get passed around the neighborhood a million times...

mandksima

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 3:32 pm
mominisrael2 wrote:
My want list from America has gotten way shorter the longer I live here, but I'm still looking forward to going back for a few weeks in the summer just to be able to go to familiar stores, and with a CAR!!

I just placed an order online for printer ink hoping someone can bring it in the near future -- anyone know if/where it's available here for American printers? And I'm still looking high and low for imitation crab sticks...

I found them!!! I meant to post about it but forgot. I bought a pack at Supersol in Raanana mall for 25 shekels. I'll make it last a long time as I don't make sushi often. I put it in the freezer. I heard that they only buy a small quantity once in a while and then they sell out quickly. I was with a friend who bought 4 packs for that reason. I'd call before you go to see if they have any. Maybe other Supersols carry it also.

sped

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 3:55 pm
FS - Cheaperkol near Har Nof usually has Grap-Nut cereal.
I think the only thing that I REALLY need from the US is deoderant - and chocolate-coverd jelly rings - and peanut chews.

mominisrael2

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 12:02 am
mandksima wrote:
mominisrael2 wrote:
And I'm still looking high and low for imitation crab sticks...

I found them!!! I meant to post about it but forgot. I bought a pack at Supersol in Raanana mall for 25 shekels. I'll make it last a long time as I don't make sushi often. I put it in the freezer. I heard that they only buy a small quantity once in a while and then they sell out quickly. I was with a friend who bought 4 packs for that reason. I'd call before you go to see if they have any. Maybe other Supersols carry it also.

thanks!! I have yet to get over to raanana but have a friend there who comes to maale adumim often...will check the jerusalem supersol too. Smile

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Dec 30 2009, 12:16 am
I remebered something ele I would want.

I have this soup recipe that is divine and it call for cilantro. I've gone to every vendor in yerushalayim and have never found it. they always give me parsley!
Anyway I'd appreciate dried cilantro.

sara_s

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 2:39 am
A nice makeup set. (The travel ones they sell at the airport duty free stores with eye shadow/blush/lipgloss. Makeup is double the price in Israel.

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 2:41 am
sara_s wrote:
A nice makeup set. (The travel ones they sell at the airport duty free stores with eye shadow/blush/lipgloss. Makeup is double the price in Israel.

lol!!!

This thread is from FOUR years ago!!

sara_s

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 2:47 am
That's so weird! It popped up on my home page as "recent threads"
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics