Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Aliyah for deaf person

amother

Post Thu, Jul 18 2013, 2:35 pm
Wondering if anyone knows any hearing impaired people who have made successful a successful aliyah or felt like they are in the position to give advice. We would need a community where there are a lot of English speakers.( Since one spouse would not be able to learn Hebrew due to hearing impairment) We like the idea of living in a smaller community (not necessarily beit shemesh or ramat beit shemesh although those are not completely ruled out). Ideas anyone of communities that are not too expensive for a couple starting a family (one spouse is modern yeshivish type and the other more on the modern orthodox machmir side in american lingo)? Also- anyone with familiarity on how hard/easy it is for someone who is deaf to transition to life in Israel? Tia

hila

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 2:08 am
We have a neighbour who made a successfu aliya. he is now about 60 I think, and a fully functioning member of the cimmunity. He is a kablan, and seems to do OK. He has a wife, kids and grandkids.

He has a state f the art hearing aid, speaks some Hebrew, and somehow manages to communicate with is workers and customers. Customers often communicate with email. PM me and I will send you his email address.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 5:31 am
My rebbetzin has relatives who made Aliyah with a Deaf daughter. She went to a special school in Jerusalem, and she did speech training as well as sign language. She now speaks beautifully in both English and Hebrew, and lipreads perfectly. You would never know that she is totally and completely Deaf, not just hard of hearing. She's an amazing girl!

Bli neder, I'll try and get more info for you when I get a chance.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jul 21 2013, 5:39 am
I know a family where both parents made aliya (maybe as teens or young adults), and they are both hearing impaired. I don't know them well, but if you PM me, maybe we can find a lead for you to approach them. Also their community might suit you.

My grandfather is hearing impaired (I mean, not from old age, but as younger man as well), and made aliya twice, once as a teenager, and once in his early fifties, he had a job here for many years and does speak Hebrew (I understand your situation is different).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions